Rapid Fire Magnum bolt rifles

Thanks guys very good reading . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
There is lots i have learnt on this site. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

cheers Joe

Kirby,
I am certainly no expert on barrels or barrel erosion,but I do make my living with steels,and it does not take a rocket scientics to know that as steel heats up it gets weaker and softer and erodes easier than when cool.The Maximum working pressure on pressure piping is lower as tempurature increases it only makes sense that throat erosion will increase as temperature is increased.Through my experience barrels last longer when fired slowly

Kirby,

Bill and Steve are keeping an accurate count of the rounds through their AMs. (I know they have the strong desire to wear them out as soon as they can /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) It will be interesting to see the throat errosion compared to the number of rounds fired.

My project rifle,(the 338 RUM take off bbl that you sent) will be finished later this week. I hope to finalize the FI project with it. If it pans out as I desire it to, the next step will be to implement it in the 270 AM. I hope to fire all rounds using the FI. From the powder & performance numbers you posted the case size seems about right for it.

Gettin' wordy here, as usual /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif The point is to see if FI will lessen throat errosion due to powder impingement.

PS: I have pretty much confirmed that my earlier FI problems were caused by way too high pressure. I was gauging pressure from case/primer parameters but 2930 fps w/250 grain sierras and 252 WCs is a bit much.......But **** it shot good! It seems that there was alot of the case head flex w/o plastic deformation.

[ QUOTE ]
Bill and Steve are keeping an accurate count of the rounds through their AMs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, fairly accurate. I didn't start counting right off the bat, but I know that there about 600 + or - 25. This ought to be close enough for govt. work. We'll know how they are fairing REAL soon!!! If I ever get around to cleaning it and putting it on a brown truck that is.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.