rangefinders

Yotebuster

Put this in another section should have maybe posted here, So I'm looking a getting a new rangefinder, Cannot decide between the G7 and the Leica Goevid Hd 10-42 There is a good price difference, But thought I would see what your guy's thoughts are? Like the fact that the Leica is good glass and 2 in one deal, as far as only have to carry one thing instead of 2 with the G7. Do the G7 really range as good as they seem? not as high of magnification seems like it would make it harder to pin point a place to point laser, at say 1000 yds.

Kinda think I have decided on the Leica but do not want to overlook something with the G7. But like I said then I would have to pack bino's as well with it. Maybe I should look at the Swarovski range el as well??

Also, anyone mess with the ballistic progam in the G7 vs the new SD card program you can use in the leica??

Thanks Dan

I was just in the same boat as you I wasn't sure to go with leica or g7 after closer comparison I went with g7. Reason being the g7 is much easier to use and set up for the ballistic part of things and stores 5 presets in itself and that's the whole reason I wanted this type of range finder so I went with g7. Love it

Just throwing this out there...but the SIG Kilo 2000 ranges really well. It doesn't do ballistics, but it sure can reach out there, I can easily get over 2,000 yards on trees with mine, and...its under $500. Just an option

Ill give some specs on the Kilo. Beam divergence is 1.4 mil diameter (G7's is 1.5x3) maximum claimed range is 3,400 yards reflective (G7 claims 2,500 yards) 1500 yards on trees, and 1200 yards deer. I personally have ranged large cottonwood trees at over 2,000 yards, I have only had mine for 2 days so I'm not totally used to it yet. The kilo factors in Angle to the range, but no other ballistics. I put a quick video together on youtube if you care to check it out. I haven't had the chance to play with a G7, its the rangefinder I wanted simply because it has everything you need in one unit, but on a LE wage, it is just out of my budget. The Kilo fit the bill for me, in conjunction with my ballistics calculator on my phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKaBj6arHPc

I think the choice between the two really depends on the individual. If the majority of your ranging and shooting is in the 500 yard range or so, either unit will suffice and the Leicas will give the added convenience of binocular capability. Having used both units, the G7 will give accurate ranges ,and provide a very precise ballistic solution substantially better than the Leica when you start to get well past 700 yards. Master the G7's "Trutargeting" capability and the difference in performance shows up quickly as ranging difficulty increases. To answer your question, yes the G7 is much better than it seems. Particularly, the latest version. IMO.

Shot this antelope in the foothills of the Bighorns this past October. She was at 1188 yards in heavy sagebrush. DRT with my 6.5-284 with a chest shot.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 77
I have Bushnell's ARC 1 Mile binoculars in 10X. For a hunting LRF/binocular combo they are absolutely the best for the money according to several reviews,

BUT... If'n I wuz getting' a new LRF I'd get Bushnell's 1 Mile monocular with the new CONX Bluetooth so I could pair it with a Kestrel/AB 4500 that has the same new CONX Bluetooth. (Older Kestrel/AB 4500 units with Bluetooth won't work but they can be sent back to Kestrel for upgrading to CONX Bluetooth.)

There is NOTHING yet that will give a faster and more accurate firing solution than this Bushnell/Kestrel CONX Bluetooth combo.

Here's hoping other quality LRFs will soon have CONX Bluetooth. IMHO there is nothing better than a Kestrel/AB 4500 for complete firing solutions. All the other handheld ballistic computers take way too much time to enter data, and in hunting "time is of the essence". Jus' sayin'...

I have Bushnell's ARC 1 Mile binoculars in 10X. For a hunting LRF/binocular combo they are absolutely the best for the money according to several reviews,

BUT... If'n I wuz getting' a new LRF I'd get Bushnell's 1 Mile monocular with the new CONX Bluetooth so I could pair it with a Kestrel/AB 4500 that has the same new CONX Bluetooth. (Older Kestrel/AB 4500 units with Bluetooth won't work but they can be sent back to Kestrel for upgrading to CONX Bluetooth.)

There is NOTHING yet that will give a faster and more accurate firing solution than this Bushnell/Kestrel CONX Bluetooth combo.

Here's hoping other quality LRFs will soon have CONX Bluetooth. IMHO there is nothing better than a Kestrel/AB 4500 for complete firing solutions. All the other handheld ballistic computers take way too much time to enter data, and in hunting "time is of the essence". Jus' sayin'...

what I like about the G7 is ,for those with ballistic dials, it will give a corrected yardage to dial in. Really a good feature for a hunting gun. At the range you have plenty of time to dial in your corrections

does the bushnell 1 mile conx/kestrel elite have such a setting?

rcoody,

The Kestrel/AB will give you a distance and an elevation (plus windage) readout in MILS or MOA and you dial from your known zero. When you get a readout from the Kestrel you get a corrected hold for angle IF you laid the Kestrel/AB on your forearm (top side edge) to get the angle and press an input button.

Yes, the Bushnell Elite CONX monocular will give you a ballpark correction if you've inputted your cartridge class (8 classes to choose from on the Bushnell website) but the Kestrel will be more accurate as it has your EXACT ballistics in it, not approximate ballistics as with the Bushnell.

I personally eschew the scope dialing routine when possible and just use the MIL hash marks on my H59 reticle. It's far faster and just as accurate as holding on the center crosshairs.

**Those who say dialing is more accurate than holding on specific mil marks in a "Christmas tree" style reticle are blowing smoke. One is as accurate as the other IF your turret mechanism is accurate, and on some scopes that's a big "if", especially near the ends of dialing limits.

One thing That concerns me is the warranty on these rangefinders. $1600 for a item with 2 yr warranty. I believe the Leica geovids will cover the optics for lifetime but rangefinder part for 2 yrs only, A guy may be way better off buying separate Bino's and rangefinder in case it qraps out on ya after 2 yrs, But the G7 is a lot of $$ for only 2 yr warranty as well.

One thing That concerns me is the warranty on these rangefinders. $1600 for a item with 2 yr warranty. I believe the Leica geovids will cover the optics for lifetime but rangefinder part for 2 yrs only, A guy may be way better off buying separate Bino's and rangefinder in case it qraps out on ya after 2 yrs, But the G7 is a lot of $$ for only 2 yr warranty as well.

Good point. An irritating point with these short warranties is the fact that the failing part is most likely a circuit board or button switch that they pay little to the chinese manufacturer for and charge you an arm and leg for to replace as a repair.

Re: rangefinders (OOPS!)

UPDATE ON Bushnell ELITE CONX Rangefinder:

Yesterday I talked to a Bushnell rep about the CONX rangefinder. He said it won't be available until summer 2016. "Maybe June..." were his words.

Then I went to the Kestrel site and found that the Kestrel with the new Bluetooth Smart ("CONX" in Bushnell speak) is NOT the Kestrel AB 4500 but instead the Kestrel Sportsman that calculates firing solutions only out to only 800 yards and does not have Applied Ballistics data. Plus it may also be that this ballistic engine has very few ballistic curves that can be loaded, like only three. All of this is a non-starter for me.

The only good news is that the Bushnell CONX monocular receives info from the Kestrel and reads out the firing solution/hold in the monocular. This two-way Bluetooth Smart conversation is very handy and saves a few seconds which, in a hunting situation, may mean the difference between elk and excuses.

I do think the by 2017 we will see the Kestrel/AB 4500 with the new Bluetooth Smart AND other good LRFs like Terrapin with the new Bluetooth Smart to pair with the Kestrel.

Until then I'll save my shekels and hope. Yeah, with the price of the kestrel and the Terrapin I'll need to do a lot of saving but it will be worth it.

Re: rangefinders (OOPS!)

UPDATE ON Bushnell ELITE CONX Rangefinder:

Yesterday I talked to a Bushnell rep about the CONX rangefinder. He said it won't be available until summer 2016. "Maybe June..." were his words.

Then I went to the Kestrel site and found that the Kestrel with the new Bluetooth Smart ("CONX" in Bushnell speak) is NOT the Kestrel AB 4500 but instead the Kestrel Sportsman that calculates firing solutions only out to only 800 yards and does not have Applied Ballistics data. Plus it may also be that this ballistic engine has very few ballistic curves that can be loaded, like only three. All of this is a non-starter for me.

The only good news is that the Bushnell CONX monocular receives info from the Kestrel and reads out the firing solution/hold in the monocular. This two-way Bluetooth Smart conversation is very handy and saves a few seconds which, in a hunting situation, may mean the difference between elk and excuses.

I do think the by 2017 we will see the Kestrel/AB 4500 with the new Bluetooth Smart AND other good LRFs like Terrapin with the new Bluetooth Smart to pair with the Kestrel.

Until then I'll save my shekels and hope. Yeah, with the price of the kestrel and the Terrapin I'll need to do a lot of saving but it will be worth it.

yep

I am waiting for the Kestrel elite 5500 with applied ballistics paired with the bushnell 1 mile conx. I heard it would be available first quarter 2016.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.