Rangefinders

Yeah the g7 offers a lot of options that the normal lrh is going to love...is it the best rangefinder no....does it offer several advantages if your shooting out to 1200 yards yes.

We have two of these units and found them to be just as accurate as the lieca 1600 and with the ability to offer firing and wind solutions it is a pretty hard outfit to beat.

Now if your pocket book can take the hit and you plan on shooting elr type distances than the vextronics is your cat. I just wish the terrapin had not been discontinued.

I have used a Nikon Buckmaster 800 since March 2001. It was great when I first got it but has frustrated me a lot. I think I ranged something past 800yds (reflective) once or twice and was amazed. It is/was so flakey when I groundhog hunted in Va. I would draw the fields in a tablet and range landmarks (bushes, stumps, etc.,) and label the yardage on them. Not the most dependable, repeatable RF out there.

Just last week I took ownership of a Leica Rangemster CRF 1600-B. Wow! What a gem. A day or two later, I ranged a small herd of deer just past the end of legal shooting at 887yds! I smirked and laughed out loud as I drove off saying, "somebodies gonna be in trouble next hunting season". I'm ranging houses past 1600yds.

It has a ballistic feature that I'm not 100% sure about. Seems to be close on objects out to 500yds, but "clicks" don't match up past that. That is if I'm doing/figuring it right. I think it's giving me "clicks" and I have it set for 1/4. I use MOA on my rifles so I devide the number the Leica gives me by 4 (four clicks per MOA) and bounce that off my drop charts. Which the charts are computer generated from JBM and are for a apecific day with its own temp, BP, Humidity, etc. Anyway, I'll finger it out. JohnnyK.

I've been hesitant as a new guy to post my question(s) on this highly debated topic but here goes.

First, I'm new to hunting out West. Second, I'm not yet shooting long range as it would be described in your world but I aspire to be better and learn. Right now 200-300 yards is comfortable and consistent. If I could be consistent out to 400-550 yards one day I'd probably be set for life or the life of my hunting.

The G7 seems like a top choice but is that overkill for my intended purposes / distances? Plus it's too large for using for archery I think. Also I can add a decent spotting scope in my budget if I get a Leica / Vortex / Other RF and don't throw down large on a G7.

At the distances I'm hunting say up to 500 yards or so are the non-bullet specific calculations of the smaller RFs good enough for horizontal compensation at those ranges? In other words, with a 300 win mag, 180 gr Accubond or Partition factory load do I really need to worry so much about altitude, temps etc on a 450-500 yard shot?

Financially the G7 won't kill me but it is a very large expense comparatively when I could spread my budget out a bit. I can always upgrade later if I get bitten by the 1000 yard and up bug.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Robert

I've been hesitant as a new guy to post my question(s) on this highly debated topic but here goes.

First, I'm new to hunting out West. Second, I'm not yet shooting long range as it would be described in your world but I aspire to be better and learn. Right now 200-300 yards is comfortable and consistent. If I could be consistent out to 400-550 yards one day I'd probably be set for life or the life of my hunting.

The G7 seems like a top choice but is that overkill for my intended purposes / distances? Plus it's too large for using for archery I think. Also I can add a decent spotting scope in my budget if I get a Leica / Vortex / Other RF and don't throw down large on a G7.

At the distances I'm hunting say up to 500 yards or so are the non-bullet specific calculations of the smaller RFs good enough for horizontal compensation at those ranges? In other words, with a 300 win mag, 180 gr Accubond or Partition factory load do I really need to worry so much about altitude, temps etc on a 450-500 yard shot?

Financially the G7 won't kill me but it is a very large expense comparatively when I could spread my budget out a bit. I can always upgrade later if I get bitten by the 1000 yard and up bug.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Robert

For your intended purpose 450-500 yds a leica 1600 will serve you well even to 1000 and beyond. I have a 1600b and it is extremly accurate with a smaller beam divergence. I would trust it out to 1500. JMO

I use the Leica crf 1600. This thing is compact and very reliable with very good glass. It will reliably range to 1600 yards with a good target/object and ok conditions.

Don't laugh and fall out of your chair...... For some reason I cannot remember the model of my range finder but it about 15 years old. Its a bushnell 1000yard range finder. It was there top of the line the year I bought it and would range reflective targets out to 1000 yards. I've used it to range deer out to 700 yards before. I have taken it to ranges and tested it out several time to see if it is still holding up and it is. I probably could place it in the hall of fame for range finders if there was one but it works for my shooting so I continue to use it. Someday I want to upgrade to something better. I thought about the G7 a lot but I also think the Lecia 1600B would be a great unit as well. It does not have all the bells as the G7 but the G7 has a price to it. But I think its a great unit with a lot to offer.

Leupold TBR 1000. Seems to work pretty decent for me. Ranged two cow elk at 748 yards yesterday. it took a few tries to get the RF to pick up the elk at that range. but i was happy considering they were in a wide open field.

any reason the ZEISS doesn't get a mention are they no good

Attachments

• zeiss_prf-laser-rangefinder.jpg
    zeiss_prf-laser-rangefinder.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 49
I have the zeiss and it works well. I had never had problems until 2012 when I was trying to range a doe antelope around 700 yards that was laying down. I got 20 different readings. It says max 1200 yards but I was able to get a barn at 1300. In Idaho last October I ranged some elk at 950 yards and had no problems. I have only had problems ranging antelope.

The huge beam divergence in the zeiss is the problem. Just as Mullmann described above. It will grab anything in sight in some conditions. That's the problem and also the reticle is large for my taste.

My son just listed his Leica 1200 CRF-Y in the classifieds. This unit works well beyond its advertised distance. It has been tested for accuracy along side my Vectronix PLRF 10. It is a good unit at a good price.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.