Rangefinder Reticles at 1000 and beyond.

Broz

I had a big issue with the swarovski circle reticle last week in Kansas. I had two HUGE whitetail bucks between 900 and 1050 yards. The terrain was almost flat. The biggest buck was much smaller than the circle so when I centered him it kept picking up the ground in front 900 or the tree line behind at 1050. I was set up and ready to thump him. The bucks were feeding with does. I could not get a good reading that I felt was accurate. I even rested the rangfinder and could not get what I felt was a true reading. I passed... The next day I had them both again at 233 yards broadside. The biggest one was a very nice buck!! Maybe over 180 inches. The problem this time they were both just across the line on private ground. I waited for them to get on the public area and didn't have a shot then. I don't regret it, I did the right thing. But if I could have ranged him the night before he would have been on my wall.
smile.gif
So I am looking for a new range finder. One with a much smaller circle or square or a crosshair. Maybe I will try another Leica as the square may be smaller than the swaro circle ??

Have you ever encountered anything like this?

Jeff

Just remember that the size of the aiming reticle, whatever the shape it may be, in a rangefinder doesn't mean that it indicates the area covered by the rangefinder.

You can check with the manufacturers and they will tell you what their rangefinders beam divergence is. Below is a response via email that I received at one time from Swarovski.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Richard,

Thank you for you interest, past purchase, and kind comments about Swarovski
Optik products. The beam divergence on the Swarovski laser guide is a
circular shape of 2 miliradians at 1000 yards, advertised simply at "2
mrad". This translates into 2 yards at 1000 yards, 18 inches at 250 yards, 1
yard at 500 yards, 3 yards at 1500 yards or 4 yards at 2000 yards. The Leica
1200 and 900 series of range finders are advertised with a beam divergence
of "approx. 0.5 x 2.4 mrad" that would suggest a rectangular shape. I
believe one of the differences in the perception is that the Leica is a 7
power unit where the Swarovski is an 8 power. I hope this helps.

Tom Hogan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't know if this helps you any but it may be of interest. I do know that beyond about 400-500 yards I find that the more rock solid you can hold the rangefinder the better and more consistent the results. Solid tripod mount trumps hand held every time.:D

Thanks ss7mm, that is good info. In my opinion the swaro needs a smaller circle at 1000. Conditions were just not right for this shot, that is why I passes. But, I want to be better prepaired for the future. What do you feel is optimum beam width at 1000 for long range shooting? I know terrain and backdrop makes a huge difference. I have made longer shots using this rangefinder.

Jeff

I would guess that the optimum beam width at 1000 yards would be one that was as small as possible for the maximum precision in aiming the rangefinder. I doubt that will ever happen but we can hope. Sure would be nice to have a rangefinder with a beam divergence of 1 or 2 inches at 1000 yards but if they could make one we probably couldn't afford to buy it.

It's almost like we need to understand beam divergence vs. distance in our rangefinders like we have to understand moa at any given distance.

Kinda makes my feeble little brain hurt sometimes.:rolleyes:

I suppose if it was a very narrow beam it would also make ranging the object very difficult and a tripod would be a must. But I believe you need to be spot on for this kind of shot. 5 yards off can be many inches at 1000 or more.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.