Rangefinder recommendation

Leica's beam divergence is 2X larger than that of the BR4. As a long range tool, that matters most. The farther away the target it, the more that matters. The BD of the Leica is a handicap.
Again, nice glass, but we don't buy rangefinders and ballistic solvers for the same reason we buy spotting scopes.
If it's cost was half as much, I'd say pick the one that matches your socks; otherwise, BR4 wins.

Leica's beam divergence is 2X larger than that of the BR4. As a long range tool, that matters most. The farther away the target it, the more that matters. The BD of the Leica is a handicap.
Again, nice glass, but we don't buy rangefinders and ballistic solvers for the same reason we buy spotting scopes.
If it's cost was half as much, I'd say pick the one that matches your socks; otherwise, BR4 wins.
I've ranged coyotes and wolves to 1400 yards in the open. Although the bd seems to be an issue an paper I'm not sure it is. Using the same systems for prs and hitting moa plates at all ranges is not issue. Confirm yardage with a terrapin. I could be wrong, please educate, but that bd in the Leica is already one of the best correct? Meaning it is effectively and accurate as is. Not arguing a tighter bd is better or not, just curious if this really that big of a deal for hunting range and application

1400 yds on a coyote is impressive!. Texas Rotes are pretty small. There are factors that lessen the value of the BD. If the animal is on a hillside with a bid rock behind it, it won't matter as much. You will get a range reflection from the big rock a few yards behind it and all is well. If the coyote at 1400 was on a cut corn field, it is the only object to reflect the beam, so it may be fine too. Add some clutter or a few objects along the path and the beam divergence is paramount. The steel plates are reflective like that big rock.

I have a buddy that prefers to tinker with the apps and inputs. He uses an older Leica, 2600 I believe. I'm good with that. It's his hunt. My BR4 shines over everything I've used. Admittedly, my last was BR2500 and it was the best I'd used until the BR4. I tried the Leica and sig before that. The best and newest Leica I've seen has to link with a kestrel, except the blue-tooth has a nasty habit of failing. Maybe they've come out with a new one.

By comparison, BR4 is remarkably better than everything else I've seen. It's simple to use, stand alone, fast and dead on accurate. YMMV.

I had a Leica 3500 and Kestrell 5700 AB combo last year and it worked well when it worked. The problem was a complete lack of confidence in the pairing of those two units in a hunting situation where time is of the essence.

Leica has confirmed there are erratic pairing issues due to the magnesium housing and the Bluetooth connectivity. The reasoning is beyond my understanding, but I experienced the issues often enough that I couldn't put my faith in the system during a hunting situation.

I sold both the 3500 and Kestrel and now have a BR4 that works amazing as a stand alone unit. Like others have stated, the wind function of the BR4 is one of its greatest benefits. Not to mention it being an ultimately cheaper solution than a 3500 and Kestrel.
I've read about others having this same problem.

IMO, While BD is an important factor, it's only part of the equation when considering the usability of a RF. The software/filtering technology is equally important in getting an accurate range at distant objects with little fuss. The BR2 was a perfect example of this. While it's beam was larger then my Terrapins, it was much easier to range small targets at distance. If the Terrapin wasn't held rock steady, or mounted in a tripod, it was extremely difficult to place the small beam directly on a relatively small target. When hunting, time matters. The BR2's larger beam was easier to get on the target, but the filters eliminated the potential interferences, and delivered s accurate range. I think what makes the new BR4 such an effective rangefinder is the right mix of beam size "and" Revics(Gunwerks) experience in software/filter management incorporated from the BR2 and BR25….So much so, that they were able to increase the magnification without trade off in usability.

I've read about others having this same problem.
Yes, it is a rather well documented issue.

The Leica 3500 is a nice rangefinder without a doubt. The glass is great and I found the ranging to be great. However, it just didnt check all the boxes for my particular needs. If I was just target shooting, I would have been content with the 3500 and Kestrel combo. With that said, the BR4 has been perfect for me thus far and I have never looked backed.

1400 yds on a coyote is impressive!. Texas Rotes are pretty small. There are factors that lessen the value of the BD. If the animal is on a hillside with a bid rock behind it, it won't matter as much. You will get a range reflection from the big rock a few yards behind it and all is well. If the coyote at 1400 was on a cut corn field, it is the only object to reflect the beam, so it may be fine too. Add some clutter or a few objects along the path and the beam divergence is paramount. The steel plates are reflective like that big rock.

I have a buddy that prefers to tinker with the apps and inputs. He uses an older Leica, 2600 I believe. I'm good with that. It's his hunt. My BR4 shines over everything I've used. Admittedly, my last was BR2500 and it was the best I'd used until the BR4. I tried the Leica and sig before that. The best and newest Leica I've seen has to link with a kestrel, except the blue-tooth has a nasty habit of failing. Maybe they've come out with a new one.

By comparison, BR4 is remarkably better than everything else I've seen. It's simple to use, stand alone, fast and dead on accurate. YMMV.
Understood. I've had excellent results with my 3200 but also with the sig and br2. I wish Leica or swaro would pair with ab and be done with the bs. I'm not shooting elr but my 3200 will easily range past 3000. Comparison to the vectronix and terrapin was giving same results. I figure well it can't be too bad. I do think for a stand alone lrf the revic makes sense. I liked my br2 except the ungodly size

Understood. I've had excellent results with my 3200 but also with the sig and br2. I wish Leica or swaro would pair with ab and be done with the bs. I'm not shooting elr but my 3200 will easily range past 3000. Comparison to the vectronix and terrapin was giving same results. I figure well it can't be too bad. I do think for a stand alone lrf the revic makes sense. I liked my br2 except the ungodly size
Yup. When I got the BR2500, I would carry it in my hand and range everything; partly because it was too big to fit in anything but my pack, somewhat because I liked to tinker with it, but. I had three problems with that unit:
  • It was time consuming and rather frustrating to load the inputs
  • It had poor contrast on the display (I am color deficient, mildly color blind)
  • It was huge.
All of those problems are resolved in the BR4.

Check out Leica's Geovid Pros,
Applied Ballistics Ultralight onboard.
Upgradable to AB Elite via App. (Available 4/22)

Some New Features !!
Improved Bluetooth connectivity.
GPS Mapping Feature.
Compatible with other devices.
Very Nice !!!

Also Leica is putting out a new App to make AB compatible with the .com products.

Last edited:
Check out Leica's Geovid Pros,
Applied Ballistics. & Some New Features !!
Very Nice !!!

Also Leica is putting out a new App to make AB compatible with the .com products.

Yes, but:

"The Leica Geovid Pro 32 comes factory-equipped with the basic Applied Ballistics Ultralight®, the world's leading Applied Ballistics® software, to deliver precise ballistics solutions based on the measured range, equivalent horizontal range, atmospheric data and other ambient data for distances up to 875 yds (800 m). In doing so, Applied Ballistics® draws on G1/G7 coefficients and a database of up to 740 preset ammunition profiles. Additional upgrades, the Applied Ballistics Sportsman® and Applied Ballistics Elite®, can be easily purchased from the Applied Ballistics® App Store. Via the Bluetooth® interface, the hunter can transfer the ballistics profile preset in the app to the Leica Geovid Pro 32"

On sale now for ~$2900 before the upgrade that still requires a second device with a (history of) sketchy bluetooth connectivity. Not sure what the cost of the Applied Ballistics upgrade is.