Rangefinder help

Shawn1234

I bought a Gunwerks G7 BR2500 a year back thinking it would be just what I needed for long range shooting and hunting. With the built in weather station, inclinometer and ballistics program, it really is as easy as point and shoot and it gives you the solution to dial into the scope. I also really like that there's no need to pair it with anything else, cell phone, kestrel, whatever, just one device to get the correct firing solution, minus figuring out wind obviously. But it's just so big compared to everything else. Elk hunting with it last fall I honestly felt like I was carrying two full sized pair of binos around with me as opposed to one pair of binos and a small rangefinder in the side pocket of my bino harness like I'd prefer. So now I'm looking to see if the only other options that I know of that have built in wether stations and ballistic programs where you can actually enter your own ballistic are maybe the right choice for me, the Sig kilo 2400 or the Leica 3500.com or 2800.com. I hear good things about the Sig other than it doesn't pick up soft targets well, does it have to be paired with a phone or can it be used to get a firing solution by itself? I don't know much about the Leica, are people finding this rangefinder is accurate in giving correct come ups in reference to angles, altitude and your own custom ballistics? Any help would be appreciate, thanks, Shawn.

Thanks for replying, this post hasn't stirred much interest. For some reason I thought the sig needed to be paired with a cell phone. Do you find that it does Okay on soft targets like a deer to a decent range? I thought that I had read somewhere it wasn't great.

I have the Sig and recommend it. It fits in a standard rangefinder pouch so I can just let it ride on the strap next to my binos and don't even notice it is there. The use of the cell phone is so you can create a profile with the ballistics data of your rifle and load. You then sync your phone to the rangefinder, and then the rangefinder good to go on its own. You can used your phone as a manual display/remote if you want to input additional weather conditions or if you have your rangfinder on a say a tripod and don't want to move it.

If you are having trouble getting a range it has various settings to facilitate you being able to hold down the button until it figures it out. If you really want to max it out I recommend a tripod or something stable/fixed. That seems to improve ranging on less reflective targets. I haven't really had any issues ranging soft targets but it can vary depending on weather conditions.

The sig 2400 works great for me, I had the G7 and it was flawless but just to big for my liking. I now have the Zeiss bino's 3000 and they work great also, but I do still carry the Sig 2400 on the bino strap as a backup and to verify, I have 100% faith in the Sig 2400 and I'm getting there with the Zeiss. Just make sure with what ever you use to get the numbers put in right and then go shoot to verify. The two I use both connect and load data through blue tooth on your phone but after data is loaded and verified you don't even need your phone with you.

Zeiss 10x54RF for me. Combines top of the line glass with a top of line rangefinder. Still big, but awesome for low light. If the size is an issue, check out the 10x42 version!

I too had the G7, but it was too bulky & I had several other function issues with it.

Used a Sig 2400 ABS for a little while, had issues with targeting & beam calibration & optical quality.

Tried the Sig RF binos, but same issues as the G7 & 2400.

Gonna give the Leica 2800.com a try both as stand alone out to 1000 & paired with Kestral Elite with Link for longer distance.
Kestral solution is Shown in the Rangefinder.
Definitely has Better Glass, which helps tremendously.

Last edited:
I bot the Sig2400 after hearing from a friend (and watching his work) how much he loves his. As other will say, the better data you input - the better solutions will be. AND - take everything to the range and test the readings. I echo the tripod comment - it's hard with a 7x optic to range a small (antelope) at 700+ yards. In other words, hard to hold it steady enough to be sure you are ranging the animal and not a sagebrush that might be 75 yards closer. Real example - a buddy and I put a small metal coyote out at 1,100 yards. I had to have the RF on a tripod to make sure I was ranging the target. . . there was a berm about 100 yards closer and the target was just above that. Use it, get used to it. I sold my Leica 1500 to help pay for it:) One comment - you can enter 4 different rifles in the app and then upload them to the RF. In the RF you can pick the one you want to use. BUT - can you remember which rifle was 1, 2, 3 or 4? The RF only displays the number, you cannot change it to say 6.5, 7mm, 7RUM or the like - only 1 2 3 or 4. Seems like no problem until you are out there and forget to check:)

I bought a Gunwerks G7 BR2500 a year back thinking it would be just what I needed for long range shooting and hunting. With the built in weather station, inclinometer and ballistics program, it really is as easy as point and shoot and it gives you the solution to dial into the scope. I also really like that there's no need to pair it with anything else, cell phone, kestrel, whatever, just one device to get the correct firing solution, minus figuring out wind obviously. But it's just so big compared to everything else. Elk hunting with it last fall I honestly felt like I was carrying two full sized pair of binos around with me as opposed to one pair of binos and a small rangefinder in the side pocket of my bino harness like I'd prefer. So now I'm looking to see if the only other options that I know of that have built in wether stations and ballistic programs where you can actually enter your own ballistic are maybe the right choice for me, the Sig kilo 2400 or the Leica 3500.com or 2800.com. I hear good things about the Sig other than it doesn't pick up soft targets well, does it have to be paired with a phone or can it be used to get a firing solution by itself? I don't know much about the Leica, are people finding this rangefinder is accurate in giving correct come ups in reference to angles, altitude and your own custom ballistics? Any help would be appreciate, thanks, Shawn.
Leica is probably the best that I used; and the glass is superior as well. I would say Leica is up there with premium brands.

Look at the Revic PMR 428 rifle scope and the Leica 10x42 Geovid binoculars for ranging. Both the scope and the binos have ballistics built into them so you can even compare the ballistics solution if you have time. I feel this is the best combo out there right now. Once the target is ranged with the Leica binos, the rifle scope is used for the ballistic solution and has the same ballistics capability and sensors inside it as the G7. As you point the rifle at moving targets, the scope's display inside (HUD) keeps up with you and recalculates the ballistics as the target moves up and down the mountain, for temp changes, for barrel incline, for scope tilt with an internal level, for Coriolis, wind corrections as you swing the barrel, etc -- you just dial what the display says the solution is. It's very fast. Check them out, you may like what you see. I love mine and was getting 1st shot hits rapidly changing from 200 yds to 1000 yds, in one range session, with a 6.5 Creedmore in 10 knot winds changing elevations and left/right windages from shot to shot. What more can you ask for? LOL

Last edited:
Shawn I had the same problem as everyone else, just the G7 was to large. I ended up buying the Alaska Guide Creation bino chest mount. It's a chest front pack that holds binoculars and a separate compartment that fits the G7. I will says it's large but it does work. I will attach a picture of the one I purchased.
Good luck,
Jason

Attachments

• F5D3574D-F1BD-4EAA-A0C3-9BF3C57ADAC2.png
    F5D3574D-F1BD-4EAA-A0C3-9BF3C57ADAC2.png
    123.9 KB · Views: 81
I have and the Leica 2800.com and the kestrel 5700 elite with AB for about 3 weeks now. It works really well when linked together. I always have a spotter when I am shooting and so I have them with the rangefinder and me with the kestrel. Makes thing really simple.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.