Compact 1000 yard rangefinder

bearcat2

Lost my rangefinder on a hunt this week and am going to have to replace it. Looking for recommendations on a replacement. Requirements are first and foremost that it reliably range out to a thousand yards in field conditions on game, and that it has angle compensation/gives horizontal distances, and I would like it to be compact preferably shirt pocket sized.
I had a Bushnell 1300 which when new would reliably range 1000+ if I held it steady, but I discovered after I bought it (didn't do my research, needed a new one NOW when I bought it) that the advertised ARC technology only worked to 100 yards and after that while it would give you bullet drop for five or six preloaded trajectories and angle you were looking at it wouldn't give you the horizontal distance. Also after about five years it wasn't ranging near as far as it used to. Not sure if this was due to the laser optic becoming scratched (looked blurred) or what.
I've never been impressed with Vortex rangefinders, but have heard good things about their 4000 and also am seeing some people speak highly of the Sig Sauer 2200 which I know nothing about. Open to any suggestions that meet the criteria and while price is a consideration bottom line is it needs to do what I want it to.

Rx2800 will be over kill for you, which is what you want if 1000y is your max range.

820 is the farthest I have ever shot an animal (missed wolf at 1000, but couldn't range it and guessed the yardage at 950, later was able to range back when I went to look for blood). Doubt I'll push past a 1000, but sometimes it is nice to know that that bull is at 1200, because then if you get to that ridge 400 yards closer you know you'll be in range.

Had a Leupold years ago, loved the features and the fact it was black digital instead of red (easier to see in bright conditions and easier to see your target in low light) but the model I had was supposed to be good to 1000 and would struggle at 600, why I got rid of it and got the Bushnell. I'll have to check out the new Leupolds and see how they've improved. Plus they give a guide discount so it'll be cheaper!

Leupold 2800....
And sometimes it's not about the distance to an animal...sometimes a distance to a waypoint....to get closer to an animal to be able to take a shot......
And too....let you know that animal at 2600 yards will take you 2 hours of hiking to get close..to where it was.........
For the price...wouldnt go back....or try to catch it on sale....

I'm going to say Leica. I have the 2400r ad glass is great and it works great. Had a sig2000 and a leupold 1000 and neither of them two were very good. The sig started out good but after a year and half it started not working as good as when new sent it in and it passed all there tests so I bought the Leica.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.