1000 yard club "-06" cartridges

i like the 6.5-284, i have two one for paper and one for hunting. many are going to the .284 though. for paper punching heavier is better for me.

Looks like you guys are consistent about the 284s over 270, 280, or Magnums for performance and gunsmith work so that's a plus :)
if you Decide to go with the .284 win. I have a set of forester dies I would part with on trade of something I might need.

Last edited:
I inherited a Remington 700 ADL 30-06 recently and wanted to know if it can be re-chambered conveniently for a 1000-1200 yard rifle. It will mainly be used for paper, but can be used for medium size game at that distance if needed. A few buddies of mine mentioned a 270, 280, or opening the bolt up for magnums.

FYI... I already have an M40a1 clone in 308 that i love for hunting/competition/paper punching. It's a great rifle, but the 308 cartridge seems to be limited beyond 600-800 yards.

Why not load up a 200+ gr. bullet and shoot 1000-1200 yds. I used the 30-06 Win, Mod. 70 to shoot long range with in Viet Nam. It did the job quite well with LCM 172 gr. The 30-06 has been around a lot longer than anyone reading this and no doubt will be around long after all of us are gone. With that said and you just want a new barrel, go for it.
.......... SEMPER FI ..... SARGESNIPER

Why not load up a 200+ gr. bullet and shoot 1000-1200 yds. I used the 30-06 Win, Mod. 70 to shoot long range with in Viet Nam. It did the job quite well with LCM 172 gr. The 30-06 has been around a lot longer than anyone reading this and no doubt will be around long after all of us are gone. With that said and you just want a new barrel, go for it.
.......... SEMPER FI ..... SARGESNIPER

The 30-06 is nice, but not much different than my m40a1 chambered in 308

I am a beginner, but to me it seems like you should first pick 2-4 bullets you want to shoot, and then pick the rest of the caliber and gun specs around the needs of those bullets.

Once you replace the barrel, clean up or replace the action and bolt, there isn't much left except a piece of pretty wood. It is really hard to sell a gun, but maybe there is a time if it can go into buying parts for a new one.

At some point in time you might find it interesting (or are forced to) shoot copper bullets. If that happens, then then it might be useful to look at the GS Custom or Cutting Edge bullet specs sooner than later. Don't bother looking at the Barnes twist specs, as they are a bit - optimistic.

7mm is a nice size range, but if you move to copper bullets in the future, you probably will wish you had a .308 or .338 size bullet instead. I have the same gun in .270 win and went through the same thought process.

Like I said, I am a beginner, but that is what I am seeing.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts