Ramshot Powders...

41mag

Hey, new to the forums here so go lightly on me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have been at reloading for quite a while, and am always looking to tweak this or that out of my field pieces.

My pardner and I have recently decided to try out some of the Ramshot powders. Mainly in 25, 270, and 284, calibers.

I know from talking to a couple of folks that the Magnum should be best suited for our intentions, however I am looking for practical experiences with it.

Does it hit quick or sudden peaks in pressure?
If compared to another powder burn rate which powder might it come closest to?
And anything else you might have to add.

Looks like I will be learing some more new stuff here. I have always enjoyed long range hunting and sort of grew up doing it. Our place don't have bean fields on it but I was shooting across 300 yd pastures long before the Jerret rifles came out.

Anyway thanks for any info you can share. We are anxiously looking forward to some new developments in field loads.

Later,
Mike / Tx

Mike

Welcome first of all.

I started to use Ramshots powders recently well Ramshot hunter mostly for my 260. Seems to be temp stable and clean burning. Hunter is a tad slower than H-4350. I tried Magnum for my Lapua but is a tad too fast of powder for my Lapua with my seating depth. Magnum is inbetween H-1000 and RL-25.

Ramshots powders look like a flake powder and meter EXTREMELY well through the powder measure. Very consistant drop.

As soon as i get my 260 with a longer barrel done i am going to see what the Magnum does. I think the Hunter will be to fast of powder for a 30" barrel.

Forgot to add i would like to see them make a powder that fills the gap between the Hunter and Magnum like H4831 or RL-22.

A friend of mine was using Magnum in a wildcat he designed that was a 7 Ultra shortened and improved. He noted that for every .5 increase in powder, the velocity went up almost exactly 40 fps every time all the time. When he got to the max load, the velocity just stopped. And at one point, the velocity even dropped with more powder!
Magnum seems to be very stable and not pressure finicky.

Did you hear that Ramshot bought out Accurate?? No changes are planned, but I will wait and see.

Oh, by the way, welcome to the forum!

I recently also got interested in Ramshot Powders, specifically Magnum (used to be called BigBoy). I have two different loads worked up for my 257 wby and love the way Ramshot Magnum meters. Velocity is aa good or better than IMR 7828 or RL-25. I am also going to take a look at Hunter in my 240 wby. The way the stuff meters, and is so easy to work with, I'm looking for ways to use it.

Mike,
Just wanted to welcome you to the board. It's always nice to have another Texan on here. Can't help you with any data on the Ramshot line, but have been considering some testing on .257 Roberts, 25-06, 264 Win Mag, & 7mm Rem Mag, with their propellants. Keep in touch and I'll send you some numbers, but would also suggest looking at burn rate comparisons.

I've only been on here a week or two myself but think you'll find it interesting. I shoot bunches of Ramshot TAC in a .308 but nothing else so can't give any personal advice other than to let you know that I have called Ramshot (Western Powders,Miles City, Montana) several times and have always found them friendly, knowledgeable, and eager to help. I would guess you could find out about anything you wanted to know in a New York minute via a phone call directly to them. The number I call is: 1-800-497-1007. Happy Trails.

I don't have any experience with Magnum but, I do use Ramshot Hunter in my 300WSM and BigGame in my 7mm-08. Hunter works so well and is so easy to work with I too am looking for places to try it. When the snow leaves I am going to be testing Hunter in my 30-06, hoping for good things. I only wish Ramshot had load date for my 7.62x39.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.