R 25 708 short stroking

misser

one day it was working fine the next it is not. yes I have cleaned it . I reload and I know my load .I have increased the powder charge and its not made any difference .

there is something I want to try , I want to cut some coils off the spring . good idea ?

Leave the spring alone. Check your gas key hasn't come loose or gas block and is properly aligned over the gas port. I have also seen metel bur left in the gas port of the barrel when drilled but I would expect to see that one when a gun is new.

Your gas rings may be worn as well. Had a friends gun doing the same thing where his ar would short stoke and not cycle. Replaced the gas rings and it ran like new again.

Your gas rings may be worn as well. Had a friends gun doing the same thing where his ar would short stoke and not cycle. Replaced the gas rings and it ran like new again.
well this gun really has not yet had 200 rounds through it yet . I have found a load it likes and I want to keep it. I just need the bolt to come back a little further .

one day it was working fine the next it is not. yes I have cleaned it . I reload and I know my load .I have increased the powder charge and its not made any difference .

there is something I want to try , I want to cut some coils off the spring . good idea ?

no .don't have one that is that long . I did spray some cleaner in to it . looking at the gas block I do see were some gas is leaking past the pipe . I'm thinking that's normal.

Well first and easiest fix first. Are you running your bolt carrier wet. The first thing that stops these guns from running is lack of lubrication. You would be surprised what a good dose of CLP will do for one.

If.that doesn't fix it

obviously undergassed.

is your gas block pinned, setscrew or clamp on?

Did you locktite it?

first thing I would do is pull the bolt carrier and drop the lower and take a look at the gas tube. Is it in the middle where it lines up with the gas key?

then I would check the gas key on the bolt carrier and make sure it is tight.

If you haven't found the problem then next is to remove the gas block or at least check the gas block for alignment. What I do when I am installing a gas block is plug the breach end of the barrel with a cleaning rag, blast canned air in the muzzle end and see what kind of flow you get from the gas tube in the upper. After you have done it a few times you know what good flow sounds like.

somewhere in there you will find your problem.

Last edited:
Well first and easiest fix first. Are you running your bolt carrier wet. The first thing that stops these guns from running is lack of lubrication. You would be surprised what a good dose of CLP will do for one.

If.that doesn't fix it

obviously undergassed.

is your gas block pinned, setscrew or clamp on?

Did you locktite it?

first thing I would do is pull the bolt carrier and drop the lower and take a look at the gas tube. Is it in the middle where it lines up with the gas key?

then I would check the gas key on the bolt carrier and make sure it is tight.

If you haven't found the problem then next is to remove the gas block or at least check the gas block for alignment. What I do when I am installing a gas block is plug the breach end of the barrel with a cleaning rag, blast canned air in the muzzle end and see what kind of flow you get from the gas tube in the upper. After you have done it a few times you know what good flow sounds like.

somewhere in there you will find your problem.
I went ahead and cut 2 coils off the spring and now its working as it should ,I like what you said about the bolt to be wet with oil I will be doing that . thank you

I went ahead and cut 2 coils off the spring and now its working as it should ,I like what you said about the bolt to be wet with oil I will be doing that . thank you

The whole bolt carrier group. Once you get it broken in good read Robert whitley on how to lubricate an AR properly

http://www.6mmar.com/site/mobile?url=http://www.6mmar.com/Info_Page.html#2729

How To Lube Your AR-15 (Very Important)!

People speak of running AR-15's "wet" but this is not the way to go at all. An AR has gas blow back and gas with particulate matter gets back into the inside of the upper receiver, the bolt carrier, etc. Having a wet sloppy mess of oil and grease in there does nothing but provide a trap for a big grungy mess to form and clog things up.

The right type of lubrication needs only be applied where there is metal to metal contact of moving parts - any more is a potential cause for problems. You don't want gobs of oil and grease shooting and squirting all around inside your rifle as it cycles, sending lube into places where it does not belong (i.e. down in the magazines, on the bullets themselves, up inside the chamber, back into the buffer tube assembly).

Would you indiscriminantly hose down the inside of your car's engine compartment and the drive train underneath your car with lube and oil? No!

On lubrication, about 95% of all "gun" lubricants out there are not appropriate for an AR. For the bolt lugs in particular you need a very high viscosity sticky lubricant because the lugs are a "severe duty" application in that they open fast under pressure and get very hard use otherwise. Most greases are no good because they don't stay around. The best lubricant I have found is Phil Wood Tenacious Oil (it's like a sticky 90 wt. gear oil) and you can buy it for $8 or so at your local bicycle shop or on the internet in its own applicator bottle. I have built up a lot of AR's over the years and seen others come back for re-barreling or other work. Some have an enormous amount of bolt wear (and a corresponding dramatic increase in head space) because inadequate lubricant was used. The owners thought they were using a good product, but it was not. A lot of the favorites are no good either (and I am not going to name names).

Some parts not to lubricate at all: 1. The firing pin (don't need anything to impede the pin making a good strike on the primer); and 2. The buffer or the buffer spring assembly (unless you want your rifle to possibly malfunction and short stroke); 3. If you are going to be shooting in very cold weather, keep the lubricant off the lateral riding surfaces on the outside of your bolt carrier or it can slow the carrier down enough so the rifle will short stroke. Above about 20 degrees F, that's not an issue typically.

The areas that always need it: 1. The rear of the bolt lugs (severe duty – must do, but only need a little bit on the back of each lug); 2. The cam pin (another severe duty place, put around the pin just below the head of the pin); 3. The very back of the bolt behind the gas rings (the .250" diameter stem) where it rides in and out of the carrier; and 4. The gas rings; and 5. The lateral riding surfaces on the outside of the bolt carrier, except in very cold weather (like below 20 degrees Fahrenheit) where high viscosity lube can slow down the carrier and possibly cause the rifle to short stroke).

The whole bolt carrier group. Once you get it broken in good read Robert whitley on how to lubricate an AR properly

http://www.6mmar.com/site/mobile?url=http://www.6mmar.com/Info_Page.html#2729

How To Lube Your AR-15 (Very Important)!

People speak of running AR-15's "wet" but this is not the way to go at all. An AR has gas blow back and gas with particulate matter gets back into the inside of the upper receiver, the bolt carrier, etc. Having a wet sloppy mess of oil and grease in there does nothing but provide a trap for a big grungy mess to form and clog things up.

The right type of lubrication needs only be applied where there is metal to metal contact of moving parts - any more is a potential cause for problems. You don't want gobs of oil and grease shooting and squirting all around inside your rifle as it cycles, sending lube into places where it does not belong (i.e. down in the magazines, on the bullets themselves, up inside the chamber, back into the buffer tube assembly).

Would you indiscriminantly hose down the inside of your car's engine compartment and the drive train underneath your car with lube and oil? No!

On lubrication, about 95% of all "gun" lubricants out there are not appropriate for an AR. For the bolt lugs in particular you need a very high viscosity sticky lubricant because the lugs are a "severe duty" application in that they open fast under pressure and get very hard use otherwise. Most greases are no good because they don't stay around. The best lubricant I have found is Phil Wood Tenacious Oil (it's like a sticky 90 wt. gear oil) and you can buy it for $8 or so at your local bicycle shop or on the internet in its own applicator bottle. I have built up a lot of AR's over the years and seen others come back for re-barreling or other work. Some have an enormous amount of bolt wear (and a corresponding dramatic increase in head space) because inadequate lubricant was used. The owners thought they were using a good product, but it was not. A lot of the favorites are no good either (and I am not going to name names).

Some parts not to lubricate at all: 1. The firing pin (don't need anything to impede the pin making a good strike on the primer); and 2. The buffer or the buffer spring assembly (unless you want your rifle to possibly malfunction and short stroke); 3. If you are going to be shooting in very cold weather, keep the lubricant off the lateral riding surfaces on the outside of your bolt carrier or it can slow the carrier down enough so the rifle will short stroke. Above about 20 degrees F, that's not an issue typically.

The areas that always need it: 1. The rear of the bolt lugs (severe duty – must do, but only need a little bit on the back of each lug); 2. The cam pin (another severe duty place, put around the pin just below the head of the pin); 3. The very back of the bolt behind the gas rings (the .250" diameter stem) where it rides in and out of the carrier; and 4. The gas rings; and 5. The lateral riding surfaces on the outside of the bolt carrier, except in very cold weather (like below 20 degrees Fahrenheit) where high viscosity lube can slow down the carrier and possibly cause the rifle to short stroke).
link not work

I own one. The first place to look is yoir loads, and the magazine. Mine has functioned flawlessly for several hundred rounds but case sizing and lthe load has to be correct as function/timing is related to the loads pressure characteristics as is the case with all AR's. I use 42gr of Varget with 140gr Ballistic Tips and SST's. The best test would be to test the cycling with a box of 140gr Remington factory loads. Lubrication with Breakfree CLP on the piston/rings and action friction area should be more then sufficient for Functioning. The factory clip may need to be replaced with a Magpul. Given that the ports are clean and the action lubed as described, if it doesn't function it should be checked by the factory.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.