Remington R-25

Discussion in 'AR15/10 Rifles' started by Jayhawk, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Jayhawk

Jayhawk Well-Known Member

Anybody have one of these? Looked at a 7mm-08 today and on the bottom of the barrel was 1-10 which I figure is the twist, but I looked in rem's catalogue and it shows the 7-08 has a 1-9.25 twist. Really kind of looking at this instead of a .308.

2. Greyfox

Greyfox Well-Known Member

I have one in 7mm08. It feeds reliably and is very accurate. Shoots .5 MOA with 139 gr SST's with 42.5 gr Varget. Also shoots factory Rem 140 gr , 140 Accutip, and Federal 140 Ballistic Tips .5-1.0 MOA. Mounted a 3.5x10 Mark 4 on it. It's a solid 500 yard deer/coyote rifle. Only drawback is that it's a little heavy and brass. The Remington brass is lousy. Primer pockets are loose after one firing and fall out on cycling.

3. Jayhawk

Jayhawk Well-Known Member

Thanks Greyfox, does your rifle have the twist rate on the bottom of the barrel....also have you ever shot the 162 Amax in your rifle?

4. Greyfox

I have not tried the A-max. I will check out the barrel. I am out of town until next week and will let you know.

5. Bravo 4

Bravo 4 Well-Known Member

I have one in .308. FYI, if you ever have any trouble with it call the manufacturer (pretty sure all R25's are DPMS) instead of Remington. I purchased one NIB about a year ago. These things are going for $1600 and it was the most inaccurate gun I've ever owned. It was a consistent 2 1/2 MOA rifle no matter what you fed it, and I fed it a lot! I tried everything from different scopes, mounts, rests, holds, shooters, bipods, positions, etc...nothing helped. I had a bad feeling about this thing after I cleaned the barrel and fired the first round. There was so much copper deposited that I joked about there being any left on the bullet when it left the muzzle. After a good break in it calmed down quite a bit. Also, about 20 rounds into it the bolt release fell off the lower... This thing gave me nothing but fits so I called Remington and they said this level of accuracy was acceptable. WRONG!!!
    I gave it to a reputable local smith and after scoping it said the barrel was junk. He suggested I send it to DPMS and have them rebarrel it, or he would put a Krieger on it for about $600. I called DPMS and they sent me a shipping label. A few weeks later I get it back with a new barrel, even after owning it for a year and sending hundreds of rounds through it. I gotta give them props for that. It will hold around a minute (maybe average a little better) with 175gr SMK's. That's a huge improvement!

6. Greyfox

I checked out the bottom of the barrel and it also has 1:10 stamped on the bottom. Have not shot A-Max's out of it. Great accuracy with 140 SST's and Ballistic Tips.

7. 4xforfun

4xforfun Well-Known Member

You guys who reload for the 7mm08 or the 308....what OAL are you running? Are you limited by the chamber or does the mag determan your oal?

8. Bravo 4

Bravo 4 Well-Known Member

The mag length will more then likely determine Max OAL. It'll be around 2.8". My 175SMK load is 2.75" for best accuracy.

9. Greyfox

The mag does determine the max OAL but of my most accurate loads are 2.8-2.830 which fit nicely.