Quickload ?

edge

I am considering buying Quickload.

I am wondering if it will work for my situation any better than my homemade Powley calculator?
My situation:

I am shooting a smokeless muzzleloader with custom sabots.
I basically have a straight walled case of nearly unlimited capacity ( within reason ).
There is no throat so there also is no swaging of the bullet into the grooves making pressure somewhat problematic.

My bore is a 0.450/0.458 Shilen barrel 23 1/2 inches long;
My bullets are 250 grain 0.338 Accubonds;
My sabots weigh 25 grains.
My goal is 2800 - 3000 fps.
I prefer to keep the pressure not much over 50,000 psi.

My homemade calculator only yields IMR powders and suggests 100 grains of IMR 4064 should get me to 2900 fps @ under 50Kpsi.
I don't have this powder and would prefer to use a Hodgdon powder but I can't correlate powders with my calculator.

I guess my question is do you think that Quickload would work for this type of a situation, and is it worth the $150 price tag?

Thanks for any suggestions.

edge.

i use quickload but i must admit that i have never used the black powder portion of it there is an option to import data from quick design ( Quickdesign info ) directly into ql. You might need both programs, one to design your caseless 'case' and then import that into ql from there i would think that you could play with length until you reached your objective.

however, best to call ed dillon at neconos direct he's a great person and always very helpfull
800-451-3550

might be a hoot to play with

Thanks for the info, I guess that it was not as straightforward as I thought.

edge.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.