Quick 7mm mag load help please.

4ked Horn

Can you please check your load manuals for a 7mm rem mag recipe using any 160 gr bullet AND HODGDONS 4895 POWDER.

A friend of mine wants to load up some rounds using a recipe another friend loaded for him in the past. He gave me this list of components:

64 grains Hodgdons 4895 powder.
160 gr sierra boat tail.
non mag primer.

So I went lookin' and the Hodgdons website didn't list this powder at all for 7mm mag and neither did my speer manual.

I would love for someone to look in a Sierra manual and any others to see if this powder is listed for 7mm mag and how much for a 160 gr bullet.

If no one comes up with anything I need to send an email to him by morning (or as soon as I can) to not buy anything till we get this ironed out.

Thanks.

OK, unless I missed something in their free on line manual there is nothing there either for 160 gr bullets and H4895. If I missed it please post the load number and I will look again.

Thanks.

Reason I say that is because most people on there using 61-63g with IMR-4350, 4831 and RL22 powders. Those are a lot slower burning than 4895. 64g would have a hell of a pressure I would think at 64g. Anyone else want to comment on this post? I dont want to be the sole one.

i did find a imr 4895 with max load of 52 grains. Don't know if I would try that load data. The imr was for 150 partition IMR 4350 and AA 3100 both would be safer and would work for the 160 grainers. Don't know if that would help

That does help. It helps me believe that someone is giving my friend either a bogus load or at least a load I will look at closely before he spends any money on nonreturnable powder.

Thanks again.

Well I talked to my friend and he got the scoop from his buddy. The load called for 64 gr of IMR4831 not Hodgdons 4895.

I was hoping someone would be kind enough to look in Sierras loading manual and tell me the max load for IMR4831 using a 160 gr SGK in a 7mm rem mag.(If they even tested it with this bullet.)

The IMR site lists 61 gr max with a 160 nosler partition. That leaves us 3 gr short.

Thanks.

"4"
Look here http://www.reloadersnest.com/ You will notice that according to this site, 63.7 gr of H4831SC will give you just under 3000. IMR 4831 is a tetch faster so 64 gr would be fairly hot I suspect. There are better powders out there for the 160 in a 7mm Rem than 4831. Good luck, and good shootin'
Jim

I think you still have my REALLY OLD Speer manual - I think it is manual #7. Check in that manual for a load if you have it. They list loads that are much higher than the newer manuals, so something like what Mike's buddy said might be in there.

My Lyman 47th gives a load max of 66gr H4831 for 154 and 162 gr bullets, nothing for IMR 4831 or H 4895

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.