A bolt 7mm mag load help

bclowman

hi guys, This is my first post on this Forum. Anyways, Looking to see if anyone has found any pet loads for the A bolt 7mm mags. I have imr-4350 and CT ballistic silvertip 140's on hand already that i used loading a 7mm-08. I'm going to try some loads with that off course, but wanting to look at other options as well. BTW this will be a strictly whitetail round.

Personal experience I wouldn't want use that on deer unless your going to head shoot em. Years ago I was all about the 150gr Btip, I was head shooting every thing, then one day I shot at the boiler room of a muley buck. I F@$%ked that shot and hit the hind.... It destroyed that hind and 1/2 of the offside hind, and he was still kicking so I promptly proceeded screw up again and blew the #$^ out of his shoulders. My bad, but holy crap the destruction was, like a varmint bullet for deer! The current selection of bonded core bullets are way better for not tearing everything up, partition types just flat work.

A lot of guys like the 162gr SST, I was disappointed with them but their accurate as can be, 160 Nosler AB great bullet, never was impressed with sierra or speer,Trying some of these right now 168gr Custom Rifle Bullets Built for Accuracy | Matrix Ballistics
one load I would try if it's just for deer at intermediate ranges is 150gr partition (62.5 gr imr4350 and a CCI250) <- that was my BT load it drove friggin tacks:)

hi guys, This is my first post on this Forum. Anyways, Looking to see if anyone has found any pet loads for the A bolt 7mm mags. I have imr-4350 and CT ballistic silvertip 140's on hand already that i used loading a 7mm-08. I'm going to try some loads with that off course, but wanting to look at other options as well. BTW this will be a strictly whitetail round.
Yep, a 140 sierra or nosler bt/ab with 68-70gr rl22, win brass with a 215. I've killed a bunch of deer with the sierra and it does the job as well as a partition or accubond. If rl22 doesn't work, try 7828 with a 150 nos bt ,win brass ,and a 215. I've had two ruger and currently have a rem in 7mag. if you want a bit less recoil with almost as much speed, try 56gr I4064 with the 140 sierra and a 215. It'll net 3100 fps(versus 3200 for the other 140's) and it's just a dang good load; I've got about 300 of these loaded right now.
If you put it in the slats like you should, the nos bt won't be an issue. If you like texas heart shots or hamburgered shoulder, use a barnes. We've been using the 140 sierra and the accubond in stw's and ultra's (which are a heck of a lot faster than a 7mag) so I wouldn't worry to much.

71gn retumbo, 160CEB in my a-bolt lrh is good for .5-.75 moa repeatedly. i found this load while doing OCW testing at 600 yds, and haven't fine tuned anything. i could probably shrink this down, but it is good for what i do with it....

I just finished working up a load for the 7mag with 168gr Matrix. 65.2gr RL22, Rem 9 1/2M primer, Nosler cases. seated 0.020" off the lands. It produced 1/2" horizontal dispersion (I know some of that was me) and 1/4" vertical dispersion at 200yrds. :cool: I think I'll keep itgun)

one load I would try if it's just for deer at intermediate ranges is 150gr partition (62.5 gr imr4350 and a CCI250) <- that was my BT load it drove friggin tacks:)[/QUOTE]

I would not use any paritions on whitetail unless your caliber is under a 270. completey Unnecessary.

My friends dad went elk hunting 1 year with paritions in his 7 mag and deciede to use them up on whitetail to get rid of them and ended up with a completey waste of a deer. the back shoulder was gone. yes shot placement wasnt best but my Ballistic tips don't do what partitions did to his.

too much for a whitetail

one load I would try if it's just for deer at intermediate ranges is 150gr partition (62.5 gr imr4350 and a CCI250) <- that was my BT load it drove friggin tacks:)

I would not use any paritions on whitetail unless your caliber is under a 270. completey Unnecessary.

My friends dad went elk hunting 1 year with paritions in his 7 mag and deciede to use them up on whitetail to get rid of them and ended up with a completey waste of a deer. the back shoulder was gone. yes shot placement wasnt best but my Ballistic tips don't do what partitions did to his.

too much for a whitetail[/QUOTE]

Thats the exact results I got out of BT's their friggin varmint bullets for deer, it why I quit using them if your shot placement isn perfect you blow crap of em. Shot a coyote one time with 150 BT's it literally blew a hole in the hide you could stick your head through, I skinned him out just to take it back and show my buddies, and one did stick his head through the hole:rolleyes:.

BT's are accurate as all get out but their a pretty poor choice for hunting at high muzzle vel. Since you quoted me I assume you read the whole post, it was that deer that convinced me to look to better bullets, I've killed a lot of deer (of all sizes) and elk with patitions and not ever one time have I seen results any where close to what you say happened but not every bullet is perfect he could have gotten a bad one, I've heard of partitions not expanding either but I've yet to see it.

For an all round and usually easy to load for bullet, 140gr or 160gr Accubonds are hard to beat.

Powders in the range from IMR4350 to the slower Retumbo all have potential, though I find the slower ones work better on the bigger bullets. IMR 4831 is the only powder I have found that ALWAYS works for some reason.

My pet hunting loads for my two 7mm's are 168bergers with RL19 in my ABolt and 150TSX's with IMR4831 in my Sako. Both shoot around .7moa to 600 yards.

Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts