Questions about fixed power

timl

I'm thinking about a Super Sniper scope for my 300wm. My questions are--is the 16x power a good compromise for close and long shooting? Is the 10x enough for 500-700 yard shots? I'm assuming the 20x power is too much for a rifle that is not a dedicated LRer. Thanks for any thoughts/advice.

I would go with the 10x if your shots end at 600-700 yards. 16x would be ok if only shooting stationary targets.
Remember quick shots on close range game, may be difficult to find the animal in the scope. This could cost you a couple of seconds and the shot. Some of this depends on the optics as well. The crisper or sharper the image makes good lower power scopes shine. I have a 6x that shoots out to 600 yards on a 308. Very sharpe optics and a small dot make MOA shots easy. On the other hand if 16x were going on a PD gun I would say go for it.

What I did was put the 10X on a 270 WIN and a 16X on a 270AM.

The 10X is plenty good for 1K and a bit beyond but 16X has gotta be better. The limiting factor in your case would possibly be field of view. For walk and stalk the 16X is a bit much, the 10X is pretty decent.

I shoot occasionally with two snipers/former sniper and one uses a fixed 10X, the other a 3-10X and both shoot out to a 1,000 yards. At 500-600 yards, the 10X is plenty enough, so a 16X should be plenty, plenty.

i have a SS 10 power love the thing but if i take it into the woods or get a close shot in a field i feel its still a little to much. SO where are u shooting which type of area all plains at long shots go 16 any thing close or with trees to add into the mixes go 10

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.