Fixed power 10x or 16x? Worried about Mirage

G

I want to put a fixed IOR on my 338 Lapua. I'm debating between a 10x or 16x.
Will mirage be a big problem with the 16x?
If I'm limiting shots to 500 yards ,at what distance will 16x be too much magnification?

All opinions most welcome!

Got a couple of 16x IORs and they have ben on everything from the 50BMG to the AR.Used them to put fear into prairie dogs at 2000+ yards but must admit that its tuff to see dogs past 1500 with 16x.
To answer your question though the 16x workt good on the AR for prairie dogs but use a different scope for calling coyotes.The 16x has a big field of view but would hate to take a moveing shot inside of 75yards.
Even in the heat of the day Mirage doest bother too bad but can get to be a small factor.Personaly I like a fixed scope and the 12x Leupold and 16x IOR are among my favorites.
The 80MOA adjustment and the MP-8 reticle allow a lot of versitility.You could use this scope to 2000 yards!
If 500 yards is as far as your gona go the 10x might be a better choice

Mach V, what do you think about shot that fall within the 100 to 200 yard range. Will the magification be too much on the 16X?

Also, 300 - 500 yards on deer is no problem with the 10x, but when I'm shooting at the range its a pain looking at the target with 10x. Thats why I would rather have the 16x.

If a cotote would garentee not to show up inside of 100yards I'd use the 16x for calling!As long as you set the side focus for 100yards it would work for jump shooting deer as long as there isnt a lot of bush in the way.
Most of my use is prairie dogs.Sometimes it would be nice to have a 20x fixed but then mirage would become more of a factor.The 2 6-24 IORs I have stay on 24x and used only for long range in early morning and evening when mirage lets you use 24x.If IOR would have left the reticle on the first focal plain they would be a lot more versitile as a guy wouldnt have to refigure the MP-8 everytime you adjust the power.
I dont and never have had a 10x scope to tell you the difference between 10x and 16x.The main difference between the 1" 12 Leupold and the 30mm 16x IOR however is field of view,the 16x IOR is the hands down winner and will pick up things in the dark the Leupold only dreams about!
If I was deer hunting in open country I would not hesitate to use the 16x.I like the simplicity and field of view of a fixed scope,like you 10x just dont seam like it would be enough!
What are you useing for scopes now?

I have a 12x42x56 on my primary varmint rifle. I've been shooting all summer on a farm that provided shots out to 650yds. I have yet to turn the power ring above 12x.

Absolutely no problems seeing and shooting small vermin at that range with 12x. Higher magnification complicates things with mirage and, more so, limited field of view.

Like many other shooters, I got caught up in the high magnification thing. My suggestion would be to avoid the 16x fixed power scope and avoid the downside of that set-up. The 10x will have more than enough magnification for the range you mentioned and will be user friendly too.
Just my 2 cents.

VH
Is it a 12-42x56 BR NF that your refering to?Did you click yardages or use the reticle?Like you said I too got caught up in the high power thing a while back.Had a few different 8-32s and a 12-42x NF.They have since ben traded off for6-24s,12x and 16x fixed power scopes.
There is no compairing the view through a NF BR scope to the massive field of view the 16x IOR offers.Both good quality but are truely two different scopes.
Gota agree 12x works good but the question was 10 or 16x and to my eyes the 16x gets it done but 10x just dont seam like enough for small critters or paper punching.The only 10x I have is a Simmons 2-10:eek: that realy sucks when compaied to better glass.
Optic quality and use is one of those subjective things that is hard to pin down. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I live in NY and have always hunted deer in "shotgun only" areas. Last year I started hunting in my town where rifle hunting is allowed. Unfortunately I only have 1 piece of private land to hunt locally so I'm still stuck with the shotgun or muzzleloader where I have my hunting property.
Now this year the state senate and assembly finally passed the bill to allow rifle hunting in certain counties so my shotgun days will be over as soon as governor Pataki signs the bill.

I hunt properties that have real long shot opportunities and now I can finally capitalize on them. My other rifle is a 7STW with a 3.5x10 M1 leupold. This will be for my 338 Lapua for those open country shots. I'll use the 7stw for the woods and closer stuff. And the 7 is no slouch for long shots either should something come up at distance.

I currently have the m1 I mentioned on the 7STW,
nikon monarch 3x9 on my knight muzzleloader, leupold vx-II on my 12GA deer shotgun, and a nikon monarch 1.5x4 on the turkey shotgun. I really love the nikons. They are both awesome scopes. I'm reluctant to buy a nikon tactical since I don't know how repeatable they are, but the glass is way better on my monarchs than the leupys. I spent so much money building this lapua that I want an awesome scope on it. Also, I don't like 50mm scopes plus the IOR's reticle works at 10x no matter the power so the 4.5x14 or 6.5x24 would only work at 10x. They should have left them with the front focal plane.

Mach V,

My 12x42x56 is a BR version with 1/8th minute clicks. I normally click up as needed but have started working with the reticle for holdover, which proved to be much faster.

Are you saying that the IOR 16x has a wider field of view than the NF set on 12x?

Since the original poster's rifle was chambered in 338 Lapua, I assumed he would be shooting biggame rather than small vermin. In that case I'd stick with the 10x for shots out to 600yds or so. Optical definition is far more important than magnification, at least in my opinion.

For paper punching I still like lots of magnification. Guess thats why I have all variables. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

VH

VH
Does the 16x IOR have a wider field of view than the NF set at 12x?
Dang near twice in fact,it has more than the 8-32 set at 8x too,another interesting fact it has a bigger field of view than Johns Leupold M1 2.5-10 .Thats why I said they are totaly different scopes.
To further my point I used a 5.5-16.5 Nikon Monarch on my AR for calling coyotes but for prairie dog use the 16x IOR was put on for its ability to cut through the mirage.For some reason a fixed scope seams to do better with Mirage than the variables.
For what he wants to do with the 338 I know the 16x IOR will work just fine.Granted the 10x would work too but the 16 will not be hindered all that much by mirage(if at all in the fall of the year especialy)I dont have problems with mirage with the 16x IOR and most of my shooting is done in the worst posible conditions!
John
The Monarchs are good scopes for sure!If you like the Leupold but think you want a little more power than yes the 16xIOR will work.You will be real impressed with the glass and field of view the 16x IOR offers

Thanks to both of you guys for your input.
Mach V, I never even considered asking a question about FOV because I assumed it would be less with the 16x. That is great to know. I know that 10x would be fine for the game, but I do want to really reach out with this rifle and shoot some far away paper and/or steel so I do want higher magnification. Also, the 338 lapua wouldn't be my primary deer rifle anyway. It would be for those LR field set-ups where I'll be shooting 200-500 yards so I'm not worried about a deer sneaking up inside 100 anyway.

I'm sold. 16x it is!

Thanks again!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.