Question on finding pressure

6.5x300 WBY

Guys I have been reluctant to ask you guys this but I need to hear your inputs.

I have been reloading for a good long bit but I considered myself starting over especially since I found this site. You don't know how much I appreciate all of you and Len for having a great place to learn.

Rifle. 6 creedmoor MPA BA PMR PRO
H4350
CCI 41
ALPHA BRASS.
Hornady 110 A-TIPS

STARTED out 41.0 gr and worked my way up to find pressure. Ladder test.
I always make 3 of each load. Increasing by .3 grains Don't ask I just do instead of 1. Just feel more comfortable.
41.7 is considered max by my Manuel
Well 41.7 has come and gone with zero pressure indicators to note. I again today loaded up 2 more increases to find that pressure but nope.

Now I feel like I am not sure to continue just to know where max is. Hmm.
Hesitant to say what load is as not sure Len would be happy with me if I posted it.

Oh, My last load was a freaking Hammer too

Keep loading and shooting, it's good to know where your max is, I generally like to stay 1 grain under Max or where pressure signs start, keep in mind ambient temp if your powder is sensitive.
How does the loads you already have shoot anyway, you may have already hit the node your looking for.

Max loads depend on many variables like your rifle chamber, brass, seating depth, free bore etc. I rarely find pressure at book max. Having a chronograph would help. I stop as soon as I see primers cratering or get an ejector mark. I've been keeping a folder on my phone with pictures of the case heads when working loads up.

Attachments

• IMG_3278.jpeg
    IMG_3278.jpeg
    221.9 KB · Views: 206
Little more caveman approach but the rifle is going to tell you. I have a buddy who is/was (new loader) nervous about finding pressure and coming at me with alot of questions and what appears to be false signs. As you work your way up even if you miss a few subtle things you'll know you are there at a point. Few hot rounds won't kill and you'll realize if you work up correctly.

Keep loading and shooting, it's good to know where your max is, I generally like to stay 1 grain under Max or where pressure signs start, keep in mind ambient temp if your powder is sensitive.
How does the loads you already have shoot anyway, you may have already hit the node your looking for.
I had an early node with a bit under 3000 fps. IIRC like 2965 or 2985. I seem to be around the next node but not sure going almost 2 grains over max. Bolt very easy. Primers look great with no smear that I can tell. If any its almost unnoticeable.

Well I found it. I put on my super x ray glasses +3 from local pharmacy and can see a slight ejector mark. When I was outside at the range I couldn't see it. So even though it's light I got what I was looking for. I can actually seat my bullet a bit deeper to release some pressure. CBTO WAS 2.240. I THINK I'LL TRY 2.230 and see.
Thoughts

Attachments

• 20240219_024905.jpg
    20240219_024905.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 257
When I was outside at the range I couldn't see it. So even though it's light I got what I was looking for. I can actually seat my bullet a bit deeper to release some pressure. CBTO WAS 2.240. I THINK I'LL TRY 2.230 and see.
Thoughts
A light ejector mark is a good hint of pressure, you found your top limit good job.
Seating deeper will increase pressure unless you reduce charge weight.

What I would do is back off a full grain of charge weight and use that to fine tune your accuracy node and call it good.

Hodgdon lists H4350 with the 110gn HDY A-Tip max charge weight of 41.4gn at 2987fps. It sounds like thats a reasonable max charge weight for your rifle.

A light ejector mark is a good hint of pressure, you found your top limit good job.
Seating deeper will increase pressure unless you reduce charge weight.

What I would do is back off a full grain of charge weight and use that to fine tune your accuracy node and call it good.

Hodgdon lists H4350 with the 110gn HDY A-Tip max charge weight of 41.4gn at 2987fps. It sounds like thats a reasonable max charge weight for your rifle.
I don't mean seating bullet closer to the lands. I mean seating bullet deeper in to the case. Wouldn't that give more freebore and releave pressure?
Or am I totally wrong?