question on a remington 700 feeding problem

philipbrousseau

i am working on what i believe is a remington 700 ultramag rifle that has been chambered for the 300 winchester short mag. with two cartridges in the magazine when the one in the chamber is ejected the next cartridge is released from the magazine and falls out on the ground. Has anyone run into this problem and found what to do to correct the problem. thankyou for any help with this.

MT thanks for the reply. i will check the rails and mag. follower. it may not have been an ultramag originally and may also have the wrong follower.

A short mag should really be in a short action. The RUM feed rails are the right dimension in the rear but will release way to soon on a short mag and most likely will pop it out on the ground before the bullet is far enough forward to keep it in the rifle. Good luck.

Hired Gun thanks for the input. the rifle will not feed long ultramags either but it will feed h&h magnum cartridges. it will also feed 30-06 cartridges. talking long receiver rem 700s what are the differences in feed rails and magazine followers in rifles built for the 30-06,H&H an ultra mag. cartridges? all i know for sure is the magazine box has the sides cut out for the ultra mag cartridges and it is a long action. thanks for any information.

Your easiest fix is probably going to be a center feed magazine box.

Are the top edges of your magazine box bent inward?

only see your second line when i click on reply and scroll down to reread. no the top edges are in line with the top half of the mag box.

The Remington 700 was not made with the 300 Winchester Short Magnum in mind. The best solution I have found was Kevin Wyatts Expanded Short Action magazine box. I use it in conjunction with the Remington Short action Magnum Follower. You might consider talking with Kevin Wyatt at Wyatt Outdoors or buy his booklet "Smoking Mirrors" . I know Jim Borden at Borden Rifles has been working on his own Magazine boxes for the 300 WSM.

Nat Lambeth

thanks Nat. Greg Tannel told me the wyatts was about the only way to go for a hunting, carry rifle. the owner seemed to think the price is more than he wanted to pay and i was trying to find a suitable way around it. it would be nice if a single stack mag was made that could be fastened to the 700 floor plate like the a-bolt. two rounds down would be enough. i guess if there was enough of a market it would have been done. thankyou for replying.

morning, I built a 7WSM on a Rem. 721 LA. the same thing happens. my smithy said I could hand lap the rail to feed the WSM case or I could leave the action along.
Works fine as a single shot. extremely accurate. One shot one Kill!!! the person above said to change out the feed box. the problem is with the action. the cartridge is fatter than the rails, nothing to hold case. then again a larger feed box might. Russo should b able to answer ur question.lightbulbgun)

the wyatts is single stack as i understand it. the magazine holder which is the bottom metal holds a single stack mag which is designed to feed the wsm cases. from the pictures i looked at it appeared to protrude below the stock about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch.

thanks Nat. Greg Tannel told me the wyatts was about the only way to go for a hunting, carry rifle. the owner seemed to think the price is more than he wanted to pay and i was trying to find a suitable way around it. it would be nice if a single stack mag was made that could be fastened to the 700 floor plate like the a-bolt. two rounds down would be enough. i guess if there was enough of a market it would have been done. thankyou for replying.

A Wyatt center feed magazine box is only $60. It will hold two rounds down and work with a BDL floor plate.

Edd thanks for the reply. i was mistaken about the wyatt in what i posted. Greg Tannel was telling ma about the h-s precision bottom metal and box. i will call wyatt and ask about what i need. with a single stack i believe the feed rails or magazine lips will have to be part of the mag box. i don't see how the receiver feed rails would be wide enough to reach the cartridges.

The Wyatt boxes are a center feed but they are not a single stack. The box is wider than the cartridge. The feed lips are part of the box. They have to be adjusted for the cartridge you are using. The one you need is a part number CFE-13.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.