Question for the smiths, what barrel manufacterer?

Brux, generally they clean easy shoot great. usually have straighter bores than others I've used.

You have only mentioned a few. They all machine the same. some people like Fords others like chevrolet. I wish there was a hands down winner but there isn't.

My first choice is always Kreiger..............My second choice would be Kreiger and my third choice would be Kreiger............But once or twice I've used a PacNor.........I've never had a bad Kreiger or PacNor..........I can not say that about many other brands I've tried.

My favorite are Lilja,Kriegor, Brux for precision rifle builds. some of the other brands are to hit and miss between good barrels and dont step up to the plate when they send you a bad one.
Jason

Pac Nor makes a great barrel. Ive used probably 40 this last year with out a bad one. Ive used a lot of Lilja barrels, Dan knows his stuff.
Depends on what you are building and how long you want to wait.
Pac Nor fastest for a custom caliber not in stock and reasonable $
Lilja, Kreiger, etc plan on 10 weeks at least

Not that there are not other good barrels out there , But my vote would have to be Lilja
for consistant quality. Very strait, good exterior concentricity, great bore finish. minimal
fouling and quick clean up. Also they break in fast (7 to 10 shots)

I have yet to get a Lilja that would not shoot well under 1/2 MOA.

The other thing I like is the fact that Lilja only makes one grade of barrel (The best he can make).
And if you have a question Dan will take the time to talk with you and advise you if you have
questions.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Why not just pick one from any of the several that have been making quality barrels for 30+ years. The gunsmith doing the threading chambering and crowning will have as much to do with how it shoots as the maker does, maybe more! Not to mention "the nut behind the trigger!"

Pac Nor makes a great barrel. Ive used probably 40 this last year with out a bad one. Ive used a lot of Lilja barrels, Dan knows his stuff.
Depends on what you are building and how long you want to wait.
Pac Nor fastest for a custom caliber not in stock and reasonable $
Lilja, Kreiger, etc plan on 10 weeks at least

I honestly think Lilja sells the best rimfire blanks on this planet, and so does Bill Calfee. Best barrel I've ever owned was a Sealy Masker 14 twist, 6mm barrel. The worst was a factory Remington barrel. I have a Douglas 6mm barrel that seems to shoot extremely will, and is near impossible to foul. The worst custom barrel I've ever seen came from McMillen with one from Obermeyer a close second. I think everybody builds a hummer from time to time, and a clunker just as often
gary

worst Obermeyer? Wow I have never heard of him having a bad one. You are right though, time to time everybody makes mistakes! Lot of good ones will just have to decide when you are ready

Nobody here has mentioned Broughton Barrels. I have built many 6.5x47L, .308 win and 300 Win mags with his barrels and they have all been winners. I have used the others and they all have done fine but for me Broughton is the one to use.
Just my 2 cents

Wayne

worst Obermeyer? Wow I have never heard of him having a bad one. You are right though, time to time everybody makes mistakes! Lot of good ones will just have to decide when you are ready

had a couple buddies that were in tight with the FBI armorer, and he built a couple 700's for them They were both .308's using Obermeyer blanks. One shot pretty good (.38" five shot groups) and the other was a dog. Nothing wrong with the chambering job, and fired cases were nearly identical in a Shadowgraph. The one that didn't shoot well also fouled in less than one third the shots the other did. He swapped it for a Mike Pence barrel in .308, and shot better than the other Obermeyer. He also must be able to walk on water, cause he said he never cut a bad barrel (anybody can make a bad part). I might also add that the groups opened up with the other barrel after about four hundred rounds went thru it. I had the chance to get one at the sametime, and glad I didn't
gary

Nobody here has mentioned Broughton Barrels. I have built many 6.5x47L, .308 win and 300 Win mags with his barrels and they have all been winners. I have used the others and they all have done fine but for me Broughton is the one to use.
Just my 2 cents

Wayne

I know somebody that's setting on two blanks right now, and would love to have one of them. Look like they'd be hummers with a bore scope. I'm going to try a Brux this year for another 6mm project (6BG), and can only hope it's somewhere close to all the raves I've heard
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.