6.5x55 Mauser question for the smiths.

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by fj40mojo, Nov 12, 2009.

1. fj40mojo

fj40mojo Well-Known Member

I'm currently in process of having an old '98 Mauser rebarreled and would like to keep it as original as possible as it is something of a family heirloom. At the same time I want it to be a shooter and am planning on shooting the longer 130-140grn secant ogive type bullets through it. My question is will the standard long throat of a SAAMI 6.5x55 reamer designed for 160grn round nose bullets accomadate the 140grn Bergers and Hornady Interbonds? Keep in mind that this is a Mauser and has to feed out of the magazine so COAL is limited by magazine length and I want to be seated out near the lands. Any help?

2. EddieHarren

EddieHarren Well-Known Member

I would suggest that you load a dummy cartridge, to your desired OAL, and send it to the reamer manufacturer of your choice. They can grind your reamer to suit your needs.

3. NesikaChad

NesikaChad Well-Known Member

Call Pacific Tool and Gauge and ask for David.

One stop shopping from the best chamber reamer maker in the world.

4. fj40mojo

fj40mojo Well-Known Member

Thanks Chad! Spoke with David today, very nice guy, great customer service. He recommended the PT&G 6.5x55 Match reamer for me and it is available for rent from this site http://www.reamerrentals.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=362. Anybody here have experience with them? Would I be better off to buy the reamer outright and then sell it on ebay when my smith is finished with it?