Question for my oldest boy

He wants to take a deer this year with his 45acp.
So, my ? is what would be a good round do do it with?
It will be at short bow hunting range. I offered him my 45colt, but he's set on his acp, so any help is greatly appreciated....Thanks in advance for any
He wants to take a deer this year with his 45acp.
So, my ? is what would be a good round do do it with?
It will be at short bow hunting range. I offered him my 45colt, but he's set on his acp, so any help is greatly appreciated....Thanks in advance for any help.
I've used 45 acp in 1911's and a revolver. I've made some longer shots on snow but won't bother trying again. Guess wisdom comes with age. The mt lion in my avatar was harvest with a 4" 45 acp. On deer don't expect any dramatic Dirty Harry style results. I stuck with gold dot and xtp's just as fast as I could get them in 200-230 grain. I figured a safe margin was to keep shots to archery range and be prepared for rough blood trails.

Sorry, but this AssHat has gone out of his way to disparage me because I have politely raised the issue of clean, ethical, kills. Why don't you stand with the right side here?
I was speaking to everyone who was acting out ("Let me just say, keep the language civil guys.
Nothing wrong with your personal opinions, about what you do for yourself.")
, and you seem to admit you are one of the ones out of line, but then try to justify it by bringing ethics into it.

Language, personal attacks, and bringing ethics into the discussion...Don't you think it is time to either calm down or simply stop posting for awhile?

You are not the only one here who needs to settle down.

Everyone has a bad day now and again.
Several here need a moment of reflection, and then edit or delete some things.
An apology not for your convictions, but for the way you express them is always a good thing too, when you disparage or disrespect others.

From Len:
  1. We do not discuss ethics. To do so will result in the post or posts being edited or deleted.
  2. Public personal attacks between board members will not be tolerated. Fight via e-mail if you wish but not in public.
  3. Troublesome individuals (trolls) or members that appear to be fostering arguments or disagreement will be dealt with in various manners from permanent removal to censorship.
  4. Foul language serves no purpose here and is not appreciated; This applies to inappropriate pictures as well. They will not be allowed.

I am just listing some the guidelines for this forum. Remember guys, we are all invited guests.
Full list is here: https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/lrh-guidelines.193935/

1) Respect other members. Do not flame, badger, disrespect or taunt anyone on the forum. I
f we feel a thread is getting out of hand we will close it or delete it. A healthy debate is welcomed and encouraged. Personal attacks and name calling serve no purpose on this forum.

Don't be disrespectful to your fellow shooting enthusiasts,
whether they are new shooters or seasoned veterans (we were all new once). You can, and will be banned if you continue this type of behavior.

2) Trolling – Posting comments with the sole purpose of starting ****ing matches with members, libel persons or groups, or to disrupt the forum, will cause your stay here to be short.

6) Profanity is not tolerated in thread titles, or posts. Try to be as descriptive as possible when creating new threads. Getting the help you're looking for is as simple as generating an informative thread title. Titling your thread, "hey" or "question" will not get the views or response that you're looking for. Creative workarounds (the use of special characters to replace some letters) on otherwise prohibited language are not allowed. Violators of this rule will be warned once; those repeatedly breaking this rule will have their accounts permanently revoked.NOTE: Links to off site material will be held to our family-friendly standard, as well. However, out in the real world, it's not so sanitary, when posting a video where it is intended to be used as a teaching tool, you have zero control over what other people say on the video. Whether it's a firearms instructor who may say a few bad words during the course of instruction, or whether you're posting a video surveillance tape of a violent crime being committed and there happens to audio which has people using foul language. The staff feels we shouldn't lose that valuable information because of the bad language rule. A conspicuous warning posted along with the video should be sufficient to satisfy those who have delicate ears.

7) Use of bad language or profanity may cause your post to be edited or the post deleted by forum staff. If your post crosses the line of what's deemed acceptable language by the forum staff your post will be deleted. Virtually everyone who has the intelligence to handle firearms, discuss in print, those firearms….and operate a computer, is expected to have the ability to communicate without resorting to foul, offensive, vulgar, derogatory, abusive language, or sexual references. You may receive an infraction, and/or given a temporary ban or be permanently banned from the forum, without notice, for violations of this policy.

Please Note: Losing your temper, ranting, name calling, sarcastic tone and general disrespect in a conversation to a Moderator or Administrator may get you banned from the forum. Ranting and whining publicly in thread/posts with regard to perceived "unfair" rules and moderation, may also result in your being banned.

Any content that is not covered by the rules listed above, fall under the guidelines of a "family friendly forum".... and, there's no such thing as a stupid question.... unless you already know the answer.....

Personally I'd use a 9mm. Anybody the listens to the news recently knows that the 9mm "blows the lungs out of the body"

Sounds like an easy track job with no need for the house dog to me 🤣
LOL, Yes that was a REAL EXPERT that made that comment, just as his expert comment on the AR-15 and the damage it does. Most of the gang pushing these comments, don't even know how to load an AR must less operate one. If you need instruction on how to operate one, just ask Boxer from California.....She'll set ya str8.....Just being sarcastic....lol

LOL, Yes that was a REAL EXPERT that made that comment, just as his expert comment on the AR-15 and the damage it does. Most of the gang pushing these comments, don't even know how to load an AR must less operate one. If you need instruction on how to operate one, just ask Boxer from California.....She'll set ya str8.....Just being sarcastic....lol
Always cracks me up that the scary "HIGH POWER" rifle round they always talk about is basically regarded by the rest of the real world as basically adequate for groundhogs/varmints, and questionable on deer. God forbid they see a picture of a 5.56 round next to a "real" cartridge... They'll have nightmares for years. 🤣

Sorry for the thread derail, couldn't help it on the 9mm thing 😅

Always cracks me up that the scary "HIGH POWER" rifle round they always talk about is basically regarded by the rest of the real world as basically adequate for groundhogs/varmints, and questionable on deer. God forbid they see a picture of a 5.56 round next to a "real" cartridge... They'll have nightmares for years. 🤣

Sorry for the thread derail, couldn't help it on the 9mm thing 😅
They don't even understand or know about the 5.56 round.
It was created to mainly cause a wound, so it would take 3 out of combat. The injured and two to carry the wounded. Don't mean to derail my own thread either. But the truth is the truth.....

On the one hand I'm like "why not just use a rifle, literally any rifle, and do a better job with a more powerful and accurate tool appropriate for the job" but then I remember we don't lecture each other abojt ethics on here, or at least we're not supposed to and we gave our word we wouldn't when we
Agreed to the forum terms and conditions upon joining…I want to be a man of my word haha. But more importantly I'm thinking about what a dang 50 cal, or 45, or heck even 36 caliber ROUND BALL has been demonstrated to do throughout history and how many deer have been smoked with arrows, spears, .22s, etc… and I realize there's no way it's gonna be that unethical if shot in the chest with a 45 caliber anything haha. Probably best not to use round nose fmj ball ammo, but honestly even that should open up two good size holes at least.

Ever watch vids of ballistics gel tests with old cap and ball type loadings? A primitive chunk of lead going at subsonic velocity penetrates in a way that just makes no sense. But it does!