Question for my oldest boy

He wants to take a deer this year with his 45acp.
So, my ? is what would be a good round do do it with?
It will be at short bow hunting range. I offered him my 45colt, but he's set on his acp, so any help is greatly appreciated....Thanks in advance for any help.
ACP will be more efficient than .45 colt.

That said, no matter how you slice it, it's a poor cartridge for killing, relative to other things out there.

Here's a video of a guy using a 3.3 inch barrel on a doe at some like 20y. He was using 230 gr Hornady xtp.

If I had to deer hunt with the acp, I would probably run a hard cast with a large meplate and try to poke a nearly 1/2" hole as deep as possible. There are some videos out there of hogs shot with 45 acp, but I don't remember loads they used. BTW......if you reload, and want to try some to load I have this mold and powder coated bullets I could send you some to try.

F14857F6-FEEA-48B6-AACD-91B1BC3887A3.jpeg

I have killed fair number of deer with handguns. Different cartridges. My experience is hit them square in shoulder to break them down plus getting frags in vitals. Bullets will "expand" better thru shoulder getting more energy transfer. Totally agree on largest metplat you can shoot. I have penciled thru behind shoulder resulting in dead deer with long track job. Just my experience.
YMMV