Question for Kirby

The standard 338-50 BMG has been tried. If I recall correctly, they topped out at around 3800 fps with a 300 gr SMK. Only problem they had to use non canister powder to get that and throat life was measured in 100 round life!!!

The 510 is even larger so it would be even less efficent. I would doubt it would do any better then this.

The kicker would be to get a 458 ULD bullet in the 600-650 gr range with a BC in the .9 to 1.0 range. That would make the 510 AM case a real screamer!!!

I was wondering if a sabot didn't eat away the barrel like a bullet did. Maybe this would increase speed. In the 12GAFH they shot a mouse ball past 5000 fps in a sabot.

In the Sabot testing I have seen, accuracy was not what we would be interested for long range precision shooting. One main problem is that the Sabots drop frictional coefficent and that makes the huge case capacity even less functional to get consistant buring of these huge powder volumes.

A better round would be a 50 spotter necked down to 338 or 375. Heck for that matter, just a 338 AM or 375 AM would match that in performance.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.