Question for Kevin Thomas

I've asked Kevin this very question some time back and what he told me then was that Lapua doesn't currently make anything with that size case head so it is doubtful they will start any time soon. Now this was a year or so ago so it will be interesting to see what he has to say.

I bet there are a whole bunch of 338 Edge shooters that would sure love it if Lapua started making 300 RUM brass.

I agree. I think it would be well worth the investment for them to look into the popular chamberings like the WSM's the 300 ultra, maybe 338 edge and rum? the 300 win again. There are plenty of people out there like me and several others on here who find their brass to be second to none and will gladly pay the extra $$ for their brass. Not to mention realistically its some of the cheapest brass on the market if you look at the amount of prep work required and the number of firings you can get compared to brand X So please tell us Kevin, is there anything new in the works or at least on the drawing board?

If I remember correctly Kevin told me the 300Win mag brass was a weird deal. I thought he told me it was actually sub'd out to someone else and Lapua didn't actually make the 300win brass themselves but it still had their name on it. It was something like that I think. Again, I'm sure Kevin will clear it all up when he reads this thread.

That was me---the 300 win was made by Norma for them. The chance of Lapua making 300 Ultra brass is pretty much slim and none because there is no market for it. If they will not make 300 win that should tell you something.

Wish they would make 300 Ultra brass because I have a cartridge based on that and would LOVE some good brass!

Hey Guys,

Sorry for the delay here, but I'm out in Phoenix right now for a match at Ben Avery. Haven't had time to visit the forums the last few days.

Yes, the 300 Win Mag was done for us by Norma. Norma produces good brass dimensionally, but it does tend to run just a bit softer than that which we produce. There's been a lot of interest in the 300 Win Mag over the past year or so, and it's one of the cartridges that they're taking a very close look at right now. As has been mentioned, we don't produce any belted cartridges, and nothing in this head size. It'd be something new for us, and would take a bit more effort and expense than some other cartridge that's based on a case we already produce. Can't promise anything, but they ARE looking at this one. Hang tight, and I'll tell you what's up just as soon as they make some decisions. There was some talk about my going back to Finland for a few weeks to learn production procedures more thoroughly, and I'm sure there'd be some discussion on this if I make the trip.

The 7mm SAUM is still getting many comments and requests, but there's a few others ahead of it in terms of popularity. We've also taken a lot of requests for a 7mm line of match bullets, and I suspect that could be a hand-in-hand proposition if it gets off the ground. Again, can't say for sure which way this one will go, but I doubt that you'll see anything too quickly.

The 300 Ultra, and most of the dedicated hunting rounds in that family simply haven't generated enough interest to justify the tooling expenses it would take to go into production with them. Regardless of a cartridge's potential or capabilities, it still comes down to a simple business decision; is there enough demand to make these items profitably. Right now, it doesn't look like there is, but we'll continue to monitor the interest. So . . . keep the requests coming, and rest assured, we DO take the input seriously. Appreciate it, too!

You guys take care, and I should be back on the boards a bit more next week once I'm back from the trip.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.