Question for ballistics gurus regarding range finder and custom turrets

EBOLAVIRS

So I have a set of Leica HD-B range finding binoculars. The range finding function calculates values for angle, temp, and altitude on the fly and adjusts the shoot to distance accordingly.

Typically when you order custom turrets they ask for a temp and altitude value which they use to calculate the data for the turret. In the past I have always used an approximate elevation and temp value for the area I commonly hunt.

Obviously I want my turret to match my range finder data as closely as possible.

So my question is this:

Should I still specify an approximate elevation and temperature when ordering a turret even though my range finder calculates these values on the fly and makes adjustments as necessary? Or should I request all temp and elevation data be left out of the turret data all together since the range finder calculates it and adjusts the shooting distance accordingly?

Sorry if that is confusing but the question has me stumped.

I know someone here can explain it to me..thanks in advance for the help.

Your question is an excellent one because, IMO, the issues you're dealing with are precisely why I don't believe custom turrets are worth the cost. If you set up a custom turret for a specific load, with a specific bullet BC and average velocity (although it will varying ambient weather conditions) you're pretty well stuck.
I figure that if I set up my scope turrets at sea level in 60 degree weather (atmospheric pressure 29.9 hg (+/-)) with a given MV of 2900 fps and run up to 8000 feet to hunt) with the atmospheric pressure at 22.2 hg (+/-)) my custom turrets don't help me much. I've been able to learn to adjust around variables such as temperature and pressure with my standard MOA turret so, IMO, there's no advantage to custom turrets. My dope sheet has everything I need to make the necessary adjustments.

What FearNoWind said!

If your RF gives you the solution for elevation and wind while factoring in atmospheric parameters in MOA/IPHY/MILs the custom turret in yards is useless.

If the RF gives a corrected shooting distance in yards with all atmospheric parameters including baro included you may have a chance of success. However, I can't seem to get my head around it.

For me it has to be simple and straight forward. Example: I've been having trouble getting my drop at 1208 yards. Can't hit a 1 MOA gong. Was befuddled. Turns out the range is actually 1187 yards or 0.7 MOA different. Thus I've been shooting over the gong.

This evening I set up a 4'x4' cardboard but had to place the bull close to the top due to obstructions. Fired 2 shots. Missed everything! Trekked out there and ranged back to the house. That's when I got a good range of 1187 yards.

If my POI is a little high the 0.7 MOA puts me over this target also.

The point I'm trying to get at is a little error makes a big difference. Your quest for a custom drop turret may introduce an unsuspected error when your aren't expecting it which happens for me when I try to get too sophisticated in my approach.

+1
The most accurate turret is going to be the one that matches the current field conditions the only way t o really do this is with a good repeatable scope in either moa or mil.

While I don't think a yardage turret is the perfect solution I think with turret labels available for $25 everyone should have them on their rifle as a back up. You can build the labels so your MOA or MIL scale still shows up but you have a great backup if your battery dies in your ballistics calculator and you have a faster option if the shot requires dial up but isn't super far (under 600 or 700 yards). Seriously I never thought I would advocate yardage turrets but at most yardages people are really shooting at they work amazingly well if they're set up with the average conditions you expect to be hunting in.

I like the Yardage turrets & allows for faster shooting when hunting for me. From 0 to 380 yds on Deer just point & shots & beyond 400 to 750 yds just use the rangefinder & dial & shoot. For me & most people 99.9% of Deer hunting occurs here within this range the Ballistics Turrets are perfect. No app & chart to look at. Just dial & shoot. I learned this on the Prairie Dogs just range & shoot fast. Good Hunting

I've posted this pic before but here is a combo that works really well .
I have never been a fan of attaching a dope card to my rifle...for a few reasons one it's not very ergonomic to look at when I'm prone and two drop charts have the same Achilles heel turret tapes do they don't adapt well to changes in environmental conditions.

So what we now do is use a kestrel or other instrument to gathe our environmental info enter it into our ballistics program and then transfer this info to a pre printed drop chart.
Moving the chart from the rifle to my left forearm makes it very easy to see and access this info. I never throw the cards out just keep them in my pack soon I have most conditions covered and I can just slip the card in and run.
If the shot goes beyond 1000 yards or the conditions have changed I defer to my technology.
As for fast if it's 600 and under I use my reticle and don't touch my turrets.

The cool thing about the world we live in is that we have all these options and the tech to make it happen. This allows us to design a system that works well for our individual shooting needs.

Jordan@406

Attachments

• 20140706_132348.jpg
    20140706_132348.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 139
To me Yardage turrets are useless. Here in the south we shoot alot. Different elevations, temperatures from 20 degree to 95 degrees. We also shoot long yardages. Baro. pressure, temp, altutude, and humidty change alot here, from month to month! I have a Vector 4 rangefinder, 4500 kestral, and a Nightforce ballistics program. Yardage turrets just dont work for us in the south=unless its short yardages like under 800 yards!:D

So I have a set of Leica HD-B range finding binoculars. The range finding function calculates values for angle, temp, and altitude on the fly and adjusts the shoot to distance accordingly.

Typically when you order custom turrets they ask for a temp and altitude value which they use to calculate the data for the turret. In the past I have always used an approximate elevation and temp value for the area I commonly hunt.

Obviously I want my turret to match my range finder data as closely as possible.

So my question is this:

Should I still specify an approximate elevation and temperature when ordering a turret even though my range finder calculates these values on the fly and makes adjustments as necessary? Or should I request all temp and elevation data be left out of the turret data all together since the range finder calculates it and adjusts the shooting distance accordingly?

Sorry if that is confusing but the question has me stumped.

I know someone here can explain it to me..thanks in advance for the help.

What scope are you using? What max distance do you anticipate you will be shooting?

Leupold VXIII, Max distance would typically be 900 or less.

What model VXIII? I'm asking because there is a simple solution for certain Leupold scope turrets that provide the best of both worlds at reasonable to virtually no cost.

What model VXIII? I'm asking because there is a simple solution for certain Leupold scope turrets that provide the best of both worlds at reasonable to virtually no cost.

6.5-20 40mm. It has the tall turret for elevation adjustments.

All you need is a razor blade, two permanent marker fine felt tip pens one black one another color, and a roll of masking tape.

Supplies.jpg

Zero your rifle for a 300 yard zero. You can zero on a 100 yard range and either make the MOA adjustment for 300 yards or set your zero XXX inches high at 100 to achieve the same as a 300 yard zero.

Take the razor blade and cut half way between the width of the masking tape all the way around the tape. You now have two halves to peel the tape from.

Wrap the masking tape around the top of your turret. With the black permanent marker replace your MOA markings (assuming you have the MOA tall turret) ( 0, 3, 6, 9, 12) in black.

300 yard 0.jpg

Use your ballistics computer to enter your current or anticipated environmental data. For every 100 yards mark your tape in the other color marking pen with the corresponding MOA. In this case green was used.
800.jpg
In this example a 300 yard zero was established for a 6.5 x 284. Corresponding environmental data was entered into a computer and annotated every 100 yards beyond 300 yards and ending before the full 15 MOA travel of the turret. In this case this was 800 yards corresponding to 13.5 MOA.
600.jpg730.jpg
As you can see, for the current conditions 600 yards additionally corresponds to 7.5 MOA and 730 yards corresponds to 11.25 MOA.

It takes about 5 minutes and virtually no $'s to create your own custom turrets showing both MOA and shoot to range based on your current conditions. Heck you can place the tape and pens in your backpack. If the temperature or altitude during the day changes significantly, tear off the masking tape, reapply new tape and annotate your new shoot to ranges based off your computer program.

Custom Leupold CDS turrets cost $59 a pop. It almost takes the same amount of time to create your own DIY turret in the same amount of time it takes to change turrets. This method allows you to make shoot to ranges corresponding to current conditions rather quickly.

If you have any questions let me know. I'm not a huge fan of custom range turrets due to requiring set environmental data but this system is a throwaway and replace in no time system.

Try it, it works great!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.