Question for the Super Long Range Gurus

jsali

I'm just a little curious about what the maximum accurate range for my rifle/cartridge will be once I get it back. The rifle is... should say was a remington sendero. It is currently undergoing a substantial accurizing process including new match barrel, bolt sleeving, glass bedding, full action blueprint, and firing pin bushing/trueing. Should be one hell of a tack driver when I get it back. Its going to sport a Sightron SIII SS 6-24x50 Mildot, 20 MOA base and TPS tactical rings. Will be chambered for .300 win mag. My handloading is pretty good, I know a should get a few extra things after reading some posts on this board. I can do my part from the shooting end of things. My question is with this setup shooting 200 grain sierra matchkings at probably 2800-2900 fps what kind of maximum range should I be looking at driving out to before the accuracy falls apart? How much difference will neck turning the cartridges make?

P.S. For gun techies does anyone have any experience with bolt sleeving and the firing pin work I described, my gunsmiths say it is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Any comments?

Johnny

It has been awhile since i have had a 300 win mag but the 220gr match king was the ticket for mine. Do a forum search for Ric Horst. He just got one and is getting great results.

As for the maximum range, it all depends on you and the loads. You want to keep the bullet super sonic which should for the 300 mag should be 1200 -1500 yards.

The barrel is going to have a 1-10" twist, isn't the 220 pushing it a bit with that or will it be ok? Also the 200 grainers load just great throught the magazine while sitting right up to the lands if I want. Any longer bullet probably wont go through the mag.

Johnny

I had a Sendero with a 1/10 twist and didn't see any ill effects. I loaded them to fit the mag. I used RL-22.

You need to get together with goodgrouper cause he should be able to help you with most if not all of your questions on that round.

There is quite a few guys on here that have supernatural techno shooting knowledge. I wouldn't mind info from all of them. I'm really looking forward to getting behind a rifle that has been specifically designed for long range work. just trying to get all the info I can before it arrives.

[ QUOTE ]
The barrel is going to have a 1-10" twist, isn't the 220 pushing it a bit with that or will it be ok? Also the 200 grainers load just great throught the magazine while sitting right up to the lands if I want. Any longer bullet probably wont go through the mag.

[/ QUOTE ] A small walk down memory lane may help at this point. The 1/10 twist in the .30 cal first became standard for the 220 grain bullet with the introduction of the .30Gov ctg as excepted in 1906 this was the first loading given to what we know as the 30-06. It was not until the first world war that the ctgs bullet weight was reduced but the twist never changed for the lighter bullet, as it was not felt that a change was needed. So for all the lovers of the 1/10 twist you should know that this twist is really meant for the longer bullets. Prior to the adoption of the 30-06 the ctg. that was in use was the short lived 30-03 using again that long 220 grain bullet with the 1/10 twist. So in answer to your question, yes I know that the 1/10 twist will not handicap you with the longer bullet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jihnny 5,
you ask some interesting questions, as for maximum accurate range that is up to your abilities and finding a load that works good for either 200-220grainer's ,1000 yards plus is well within reason. Remington Sendero with a custom barrel and a few accuracy tricks is a very nice package the weakest link is the sightron scope (o.k. for short and medium range but suck at long range)
with either 200 or 220grainer's try using RL22 or H4831 and see what shoot's best.
as for your question how much difference will neck turning make? what size is your reamer??????? if your gunsmith's reamer is SAAMI spec. it is counterproductive to neckturn because you are making a sloppy neck even sloppier, if your neck is relatively snug (.004-.007 larger than your loaded ammo) you can neck turn off the hi-side or sort your brass with a neck wall thickness variance guage.
I use Federal brass in mine and it is very good but try Norma or Lapua brass flash hole de-burr primer pocket uniform,load and go do barrel break-in and report back to us .
B
p.s.you were talking about bolt sleeving is your gunsmith Gordy Gritters ,he is the only one I have heard of that does this.

[ QUOTE ]
p.s.you were talking about bolt sleeving is your gunsmith Gordy Gritters ,he is the only one I have heard of that does this

[/ QUOTE ]

Fiftydriver (Kirby) does this also.

ps. I agree with Brian B. Ditch the Sightron for 1k shooting.

Goodgrouper,
I was looking at getting a Sightron SIII 6-24 x 50 with the 30 mil tube and the side focus. and noticed your comment about ditching the Sightron and would like your opinion as to why? I am not looking to spend over 750.00 and thought this would be about the best scope for the dollar.But please correct me if I'm wrong.What is your reccomendation of a comparable scope? To keep from highjacking this post you can reply on my sightron post if you want
thanks,
308nate

Johnny5,
I have also sleeved bolts and put in excellerated oversized firing pins.
if you are having a Remington action blueprinted,bolt sleeved,excellerated firing pin and custom trigger
Here is what I reccomend....
Sell the Remington 700 as a stock rifle and get a custom action,I have no problem with doing these things I just feel my customer will be happier in the long run with the custom action.
With hardly any more cost thanyour Remingtom action with all the modifications.as far as increased accuracy with a sleeved bolt,it can be noticable in some situations but no it is not a night and day difference. I do reccomend blueprinting but when it comes to sleeving, for the customers long term investment, I recommend a customa action
FWIW,
308nate

What is the problem with the sightron scopes? It's too late to get a custom action the work is nearly complete. The gunsmiths I am using all work for Corlane shooting (aka Rocky Mountian Rifles).

[ QUOTE ]
What is the problem with the sightron scopes? It's too late to get a custom action the work is nearly complete. The gunsmiths I am using all work for Corlane shooting (aka Rocky Mountian Rifles).

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont fret the sightron dude, they work, and fit more peoples budget.

I have a 36x i will be testing this summer im BR matches, lots of close range BR guys swear by them, namely Ron Hoehn -- give him a call.

YMMV,
JB

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.