question for a smith

The 6-284 case a tid bit larger and longer so the chamber can be changed into this.

The 243 Win will run a 115 Berger just under 3000 fps.

The 6-284 will run a 115 Berger between 3200 - 3300 fps.

Dogdinger, for a straight rebarrel, I think the labor cost would be $350 - $500, plus whatever you worked out with the 'smith for reamer and headspace gauge cost. If he has both, there might not be a charge. If he has to buy both, anywhere from you paying all the cost and you own the reamer, to splitting the cost and the 'smith keeps the reamer and gauge. The rebarrel should include truing the receiver face and lapping the locking lugs. Additional "blueprinting" would be extra. A Remington 700 rebarrel for instance would be at the bottom end of the cost range, and a Pre '64 or classic mod 70 Win, toward the upper end. Also, a falling block such as a Ruger #1, Browning 1885 or B78 would be at the upper end of the range too. Other common additional costs would be having to "clock" a barrel to the action, and/or installing a brake.

There may also be some FFL and shipping costs. The 'smith will need the complete action, not just the barrel.

These are ballpark estimates. Different 'smiths have widely varying prices.

The SAAMI max OAL for the .243 Win is 2.710". The SAAMI max OAL for the 6mm-284 is about 1/10" longer. It's also fairly common to seat longer bullets further out in the 6mm-284, so be sure whatever action you use will handle some extra length if you want to feed from the magazine. Both cartridges have .473" base diameters, so that works fine.

Good luck, Tom

I have the tooling on the shelf. My lathe is prolly one of the most accurate in this trade ($80,000 FANUC controlled CNC slant bed turning center)

$200 gets it done.
$250 if its fluted.

C.

Dogdinger, you're not going to get a better offer. A top riflebuilder for 1/2 the cost I guessed. I recommend NesikaChad without hesitation.

Good hunting, Tom

I don't typically talk costs on an open forum (prefer pm or e-mail) nor braisen enough to make the claim I have the most accurate lathe in the business either, but it's **** close and no need to brag at how much it cost. It doesn't matter how accurate your lathe is, when your dialed true to the bore and pushing any 243 Win chamber to 6mm-284 without cutting off the entire chamber your limited to the what the run out of the original chamber is. A reamer will only follow the existing chamber with a floating reamer holder. If your going to cut with a ridged holder and the original chamber is not true to the bore of what you dialed in to you'll oversize the chamber and it will act like a boring bar. Feel free to PM, e-mail or call I can explain in more detail. I charge in between Chads price for an entire thread, chamber, crown, fit, 320 grit finish and engrave. I don't charge more for indexing the flutes. For what you want done I'm only doing 1/2 of what an entire chamber job costs, my price reflects that.

Chad

Please talk to me if you want to advertise on LRH again.

Otherwise don't make any posts intended to promote your business. It isn't fair to the Sponsor gunsmiths who $upport the $ite.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.