Question About Stress In Action After Bedding

david8017

I pillar/action bedded my weatherby vanguard .243 win in a boyds laminate stock.
Since the front action screw threads into the lug, I bedded without taping any part of the lug. I used inletting guide screws to align the holes and held the action in place using electrical tape.

After getting the action screws torqued and loosing the front screw, I can feel slight movement at the tip of the stock indicating stress. None when I loosen the rear screw.

Any ideas as to what is causing this?

You will feel movement if the barrel is free floated. If not floated, check for high spots with inletting ink, Dremel out high spots and rebed. Many have had this problem and just rebedded. If you rebed be sure the action is level laterally with the stock. Ive seen some Boyd's which are a little loose and can be bedded canted if not checked. Good luck

You need to relieve the bedding on the front of the lug on the ramped part. You do however need to have bedding on the bottom of the front lug, unlike a Remington 700.

Your welcome, I built custom rifles for 25 yrs and always liked the vanguard and howa's. I think they are the best action that is not custom. Very rigid and a one piece bolt and a bullet proof extractor. Good luck with it.

I pillar/action bedded my weatherby vanguard .243 win in a boyds laminate stock.
Since the front action screw threads into the lug, I bedded without taping any part of the lug. I used inletting guide screws to align the holes and held the action in place using electrical tape.

After getting the action screws torqued and loosing the front screw, I can feel slight movement at the tip of the stock indicating stress. None when I loosen the rear screw.

Any ideas as to what is causing this?

Bedding takes at least 24 hours to cure hard enough to remove the action and clean up the bedding.
after cleaning, carefully place the action back in the bedding But don't torque the action screws for at least 3 or 4 days. just hand tight to hold the action in place. I leave the torqueing as long as I can to allow the bedding to reach it's full compressive strength.

If you did a true stress free bedding, you may have torqued it to soon.

J E CUSTOM

Bedding takes at least 24 hours to cure hard enough to remove the action and clean up the bedding.
after cleaning, carefully place the action back in the bedding But don't torque the action screws for at least 3 or 4 days. just hand tight to hold the action in place. I leave the torqueing as long as I can to allow the bedding to reach it's full compressive strength.

If you did a true stress free bedding, you may have torqued it to soon.

J E CUSTOM

Oops
I only waited about 12 hours to remove action and torqued the screws within a day. It looks like I will be re-bedding....
I'll relieve the bedding in front of the lug first and see what that does

Oops
I only waited about 12 hours to remove action and torqued the screws within a day. It looks like I will be re-bedding....

Sorry about that. I had hoped that I was wrong and it was something that could be fixed easy.

Re bedding is the proper fix. It is especially important to leave the torqueing off on actions that have the front action screw in the lug.

Don't feel bad everyone has probably done it. and with the instructions on the bedding compound it is misleading. the longer the better.

J E CUSTOM

I agree with JE on the longer the better. I bed with the action only supported on the pillars. I glue the pillars in at the correct height so that the floor plate sits flush with the stock and then I relieve all the stock contact. The action is basically free floating except for where it sits on the pillars. I then torque it down in the bedding until it sits on the pillars. I torque it down hard on the pillars until the compound stops coming out and then I retighten to just snug on the pillars. I know there are 101 ways to do bedding, please don't post how this is all wrong. I've been doing it this way for 25 yrs and it's just the way I do it. Hope this helps in any way. Shep

Oops

Maybe you could shoot it and see how she does before ripping all that work up.?

I finished re-bedding the rifle this weekend. Torqued her up last night and felt no movement. I'll put the dial indicator on her this weekend to make sure
How long do you guys typically wait to shoot the rifle after bedding?

I finished re-bedding the rifle this weekend. Torqued her up last night and felt no movement. I'll put the dial indicator on her this weekend to make sure
How long do you guys typically wait to shoot the rifle after bedding?

Minimum of 3 or 4 days. More is better because it allows the compound to reach Full strength.

Don't rush it if you have time.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.