Question about neck sizing dies?

chrisC

I have a few questions about the various neck sizing dies including the bushing style. I have and used the redding type s neck bushing die for my 280remington and other 30/06 type cartridges. After a few firings you need to bump that shoulder back down using the neck die followed by the body die. When working with 40-60 pieces of brass I dont mind having to run my brass twice through the neck die followed by the body die. But my problem is when reloading for my various .17 and .22 cartridges I use for varmint hunting I am working with 500+ pieces of brass from several rifles and I want to eliminate the need to run that much brass through the dies twice.

I just want to know if its possible to use the redding full length bushing die and have it adjusted to where it sizes the necks and pushes the shoulder back just a few thousands or am I just better off sticking with the neck and body die? I am also looking at forsters bushing bump neck sizing die as well. They claim this die sizes the necks and shoulders of the case in one step. Do any of you have any experiences with this die?

I want to know cause I also plan to load just my varmint cartridges on a progressive press in the near future and it would be much easier if I didn"t have to use two sizing dies?

Any FL die can be adjusted to just bump the shoulder, it also sizes the neck and body all in one go.

The Redding FL bushing die is the way to go if you want to bump the shoulder and body in one hit.
You will need a case measuring device to expedite this, I use RCBS Precision Mic's on my cases, they're easy to use and take little time to adjust to.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.