Neck sizing question

TBuckus

I just received some neck dies for my 300wsm.
I followe the directions with the dies and notice that it only sizes the ID don by .001-.002
In comparing them to my other brass I FL resized, the ID is .302-.303, where as the neck only brass is .305-.306.

Is this enough to hold the bullet?
I'll be hunting with this rifle so it won't be single loaded

I use a Redding neck die with a .002 less than OD loaded bushing. I use it on a 300 WSM with 210 VLDs, Nosler BT, and Accubonds. The brass is Norma. They are strong loads and I shoot them from a mag. I have had no problems with the bullet slipping in the neck. I can't even twist or pull the bullet with my fingers.

I just received some neck dies for my 300wsm.
I followe the directions with the dies and notice that it only sizes the ID don by .001-.002
In comparing them to my other brass I FL resized, the ID is .302-.303, where as the neck only brass is .305-.306.

Is this enough to hold the bullet?
I'll be hunting with this rifle so it won't be single loaded

.002" is perfect for a (non-dangerous game) bolt action rifle.
I run my BR rifle with .0015" ,but that's a competition rifle only situation.

Your problem is going to be when you have to FLS and your neck tension changes so will your load . You will have to FLS eventually.

I FLS (correctly) bumping the shoulder. 002" EVERY TIME .
Just enough to chamber easily, therefore nothing changes/ no surprises.

Just .001 of interference fit is as much bullet grip (tension) as springback will provide.
The recommended -002 under loaded diameter accounts for ~.001 springing back outward with die release, leaving ~.001 interference fit. When you seat the bullet bearing, it will expand the neck outward another .001, which is all the spring back provided by brass, and minimal sizing beyond it.

The missing part of this instruction is pre-expansion of necks, which should always be done prior to bullet seating. If you're bushing is actually leaving necks further than .001 under cal, which is likely and depending on neck size produced by your chamber, then necks should be expanded with a hardened mandrel/button instead of expanding with soft bullet jackets. This also drives thickness variance and/or donut area outward, away from seating bullet bearing (reducing loaded runout).

Neck tension is adjusted in sizing by LENGTH of that sizing, given .001 under cal interference fit. Any more than .001 under against seated bearing is excess and does nothing for you.
Beyond seated bearing, greater interference does increase tension (dramatically) and with it, causing greater tension variance.
By far, most reloaders should never FL size necks.

in 1 word yes.

I have never had any issues with neck tension with NS dies

The only time I use fl dies is when I start with new brass and after annealing.
My neck size dies are Lee (I used to use Pacific NS dies with the carbide ring) But, I found that the Lee system is better.

By far, most reloaders should never FL size necks.

Stop the BS Mike, you and I both know that your method of sizing ONLY works with special designed cases, highly modified dies AND most of all loading to less than max pressures as you have posted repeatedly, otherwise you have stated you have to FL size the case.

A hunter who wants reliability, particularly in a magnum case should FL size every time with a properly fitted die. Otherwise you are waiting for a missed opportunity.

Look at these videos on sizing, determining die fit etc.

wheeleraccuracy

Are these dies Bushing Dies ?

If so, all you need is a smaller bushing, If not the die may not be correct or the expander ball is not the correct size.

Ether way, the sized necks should be .002 to .003 thousandths smaller than one bullet diameter + neck wall thickness X 2 . The chamber neck will decide how much sizing is required.

J E CUSTOM

BountyHunter, I was talking about FL sizing of NECKS (not bodies).
IMO, nobody on Earth needs to FL size necks, and there is nothing good in doing so. The bad for sure, is bringing donut area brass into contribution of neck tension, greatly increasing tension variance.
Also, very popular right now are 'FL bushing' dies, which do not FL size necks.
They are not FL dies, but 'body-bushing' dies.
Maybe you could go after these die users, with your notions of FL sizing.

Now i'm not attacking you here. Right?
I'll ask: Please stop attacking me.

I use a Lee neck sizer with a .002" mandrell even so when neck sizing, I usually have to drop the lever on my RCBS rockchucker pretty hard to get it to size properly. More importantly, I have found better shot to shot consistency by using a Lee crimping die (light crimp is all it takes) ...I had one bad experience ...separation of the bullet from the case ...powder in the action...fortunately, it didn't happen between shots at game.

Thanks for the answers everyone.
I was thrown off that when I sized the first couple pieces, that it didn't feel like it was doing anything. I'm used to FL sizing.
I should be able to get back at it tomorrow.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.