Question about high altitude shooting

The only other possibility that I can think of is normally I'm holding on to the front of the rifle and this time I didn't so maybe the gun was bouncing off of the ground on the bipod

One things for sure; 6 shots missed represents shooting way beyond desired capability.
It's not the way long range hunting is supposed to be.

One things for sure; 6 shots missed represents shooting way beyond desired capability.
It's not the way long range hunting is supposed to be.
Mike how long have you been shooting "long range"? I have only been shooting long range for 3 years, my ability isn't what's in question, the 2 of 8 shots that I connected were flawless. It's the ones leading up to it in question. I only ask because maybe you could teach instead of bash. I already know I messed up or I would have connected on shot #1.

Last edited:
Equipment issues exist at all ranges. We missed about a 100 yard shot this season. I say we because it's my rifle. The young man using it was more than capable of making the shot. Standing deer, tripod rest, complete surprise the deer wasn't DRT. Fore end screw on the Ruger #1 is the likely culprit. Set up a target to find ourselves about 5" low.

On your first 6 shots that missed, did you dial? Where were you holding the cross hair on these shots that were missing.
There are other factors involved that you or we are not aware of. There is no way you were able to hold dead on at the stated distance with your zero of 1" high at 100 yards, without other factors coming into play, such as an extreme angle, dialing and maybe not remembering, yanking the shots that connected, distance may not have really been 600+ yards, strong upward draft, etc. Rules of physics always apply, we just may not be aware of all factors involved.

I didn't dial, I was using holdover. It didn't seem to be an extreme angle, but I do know he was a few hundred feet above me in elevation. My range finder is a nicon pro hunter 1000. It's always been within a few yards , and it said 647. I'm not saying lots of things didn't go wrong. My biggest question was how much the elevation would effect my zero. Elkaholic answered that. I do appreciate the info guys, I'm still learning.
On your first 6 shots that missed, did you dial? Where were you holding the cross hair on these shots that were missing.
There are other factors involved that you or we are not aware of. There is no way you were able to hold dead on at the stated distance with your zero of 1" high at 100 yards, without other factors coming into play, such as an extreme angle, dialing and maybe not remembering, yanking the shots that connected, distance may not have really been 600+ yards, strong upward draft, etc. Rules of physics always apply, we just may not be aware of all factors involved.

I didn't dial, I was using holdover. It didn't seem to be an extreme angle, but I do know he was a few hundred feet above me in elevation. My range finder is a nicon pro hunter 1000. It's always been within a few yards , and it said 647. I'm not saying lots of things didn't go wrong. My biggest question was how much the elevation would effect my zero. Elkaholic answered that. I do appreciate the info guys, I'm still learning.
You stated that the elk was a few hundred feet above you. Let's say the angle was 30 degrees just for example. That would make the true dialing range at 560 yards rather than 647. My grandkids have my computer right now so I can't check the numbers but that would likely be another 1 1/2 feet high coupled with the 10" for elevation adjustment. Now you are getting closer.to what may have happened! I think you had several things added together to cause a miss of that magnitude. You might try getting on line and Google JBM and practice putting in some of these numbers to illustrate how much different things affect trajectory. It is one of the best ways to learn at home to get ready for the field......rich

Just got the computer back from the gkids. The 30 degrees would actually be another 30" so 40" total
I knew there was a logical explication, but being so inexperienced in high altitude hunting, it bogged my mind how there could be so minimal a drop at that distance. Is there a way to practice at lower altitude for the same senario?

I knew there was a logical explication, but being so inexperienced in high altitude hunting, it bogged my mind how there could be so minimal a drop at that distance. Is there a way to practice at lower altitude for the same senario?
. By using jbm! You can print out a chart if you don't have an app. I did it for years. You can use nearest elevation, temp etc as a baseline and learn how much to adjust by playing with jbm. You also need a way to measure slope because, as you have seen, it can be huge. I use to carry a calculator with cosine function which gives you the horizontal shooting distance

You stated that the elk was a few hundred feet above you. Let's say the angle was 30 degrees just for example. That would make the true dialing range at 560 yards rather than 647. My grandkids have my computer right now so I can't check the numbers but that would likely be another 1 1/2 feet high coupled with the 10" for elevation adjustment. Now you are getting closer.to what may have happened! I think you had several things added together to cause a miss of that magnitude. You might try getting on line and Google JBM and practice putting in some of these numbers to illustrate how much different things affect trajectory. It is one of the best ways to learn at home to get ready for the field......rich
Rich, you covered most everything, except you didn't compensate for Pucker Factor in your calculations. LOL

Just a follow up, cause I did the math. ( Correctly, I hope. )

For a 647 yard shot at a target 200 ft higher. That equates to an angle of only +5.9 degrees. That changes the true overland distance of the target to 643 yards. That only changes the point of impact by 1.3 inches.

To have a 30 degree angle to the target from 647 yards, the target would have had to be 970.5 feet higher.

200 ft. sounds like a lot, but when it is 647 yards away it is not. So, the only true impact of the altitude change is the 10 inches less drop. That equates to 6 ft total drop from a 1" + 100 yard zero.

With a target 200 ft. higher at an altitude of 8600 ft. the shooter would of had to holdover 6 feet to make the shot.

But then how do you know it was 200 ft and not 970 ft.? It is hard to judge. That is why I use a range finder that gives me the target angle too.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.