Question about Ackley Improved

I do not fire-form for my .270 AI. Instead, I load for .270 Win accuracy and .270 AI accuracy load after 1X or 2X fire-formed brass.
Meh...................... sounds Average

laugh.gif

Ok so quite a few of you guy's are shooting improved or wildcat cartridges so how are you going about doing your hand loads? Are you getting custom dies made right off the bat based off your reamer print?

SO, you have a chamber cut for Ackley Improved and then you fireform a regular case?
Just read a bunch of responses to your question. All good. I'm sure your heads spinning by now. It's not really complicated. My first ackley was intimidating thinking about fireforming, dies, reamer etc. You didn't mention a cartridge preference or even if your considering one. Maybe your just curious about the process. Some cartridges are ackley improved and some just improved. For all practical purposes, there just improved cases of standard Saami cartridges. Usually shoulder angle decrease and shoulder opened up to a larger diameter (more of a straight wall to the shoulder). Dies are available for these and will work fine. Alot of people have dies made for the reamer that cut there chamber. I've done it with some of mine. Most of mine are Redding AI dies that work fine. Do some research on it but this forum will give you all the info your looking for. Some very good knowledge in many members here.

Ok so quite a few of you guy's are shooting improved or wildcat cartridges so how are you going about doing your hand loads? Are you getting custom dies made right off the bat based off your reamer print?
It depends, "if" you can load to safely fire-form off the chamber, it is preferred over the reamer print.

Some of the PRS guys push them pretty hard. For me, the biggest difference is in weak factory loads for obsolete rifles versus more modern loads for a rifle like my Hyem.

What level of improved performance do you srr in the 6.5x55ai over the good ol' Swede?
Haven't got it from the smith yet. I really do an ackley for the brass and take whatever I get for gain.
My 223ai is pushing a 53gr vmax at 3394 fps out of a 17" tube, but no more trimming and stupid accurate also with FF loads also

Recent Posts