QUARTER BORE SST??

Elk at ~280 and mule deer at 380 iirc last fall. If you look at the ballistic #'s and KE at 300-400 vs 500-600 the elk or deer isn't going to know any difference. : ) My Cow blew bone bits and blood all over the field behind her. The Mulie didn't move more than 0-3' due to extensive vertebrate damage although I hit him midrib.

With deer I am confident of ethical kill to 800 yards although the kinetic energy at 3200 yards would be good for another 400 yards - I find that 600-800 yard window very comfortable and TOF and wind band issues are not as big a deal in new terrain as a 1200 yard shot where the KE may still be good but other variables are indeterminable.

I used to shoot deer with a 0.313 G7 140 gr @ 3111 fps to 600-800 yards with no issues and now I run 0.340 G7 @ 3215 fps with more energy retention downrange albeit 9 grains lighter.

Coldbore and others have taken elk to 600-800 yards. For me personally, if an elk is at range, I will send one through the vitals and reload immediately to send a skeletal shoulder shot if the animal doesn't know what happened (most don't know what hit them at 600-800 yards, especially suppressed). Elk that find an arroyo whether its 6' or 50' deep make for a long day. If the animal's stance allowed for skeletal-to-vitals at 600-800 I would take that as a primary shot and be ready for a follow up.

I do the same with 284 Win, 7 Mag and 300 Win Mag too.
With the Ace, I'd prefer to hit a bit of bone at least. Especially beyond 500 yds.

I know this thread hasn't been active for a while but I'm late to the game and trying to debate whether to go w a 25 SST or something else. I'm putting together an ultralight hunting rifle "for my wife" and would love some help in sourcing the right barrel. I couldn't find the blackjacks and bought 500 133s in Berger's. I'd like to order some 131s as well. This gun I definitely need carbon fiber but might put a range or varmint rifle together after. Also, anybody shot barrels out on a moderate load?

i own 3 25 sst's
Moslty shoot 131 but have one set up to shoot hammers. Have a ton of 133's but have not loaded for them yet. I have know doubt it will shoot them great as well.
You are going to find nodes all over the place with the 25sst. i had great loads that worked from 3050 to 3300

I've been shooting a mild load with the h-1000 and 131s. Pretty easy on it, sometimes Il shoot 5 or so rounds out of it ( sporter barrel ). Surprisingly it still shoots well as a hunting rifle with almost 1300 rounds on it although it has lost almost 100 fps. Rock screen #5 barrel.

I've got H1000, where did you end up for the mild H1000 load? Obviously, I'll work start low. I also have Retumbo, 565, 570 and RL26 which I've read are good for these as well. What brass are you using? Thanks

58gr ADG most of my brass is 7x
The other powders you listed will work great to but will be harder on barrels

i own 3 25 sst's
Moslty shoot 131 but have one set up to shoot hammers. Have a ton of 133's but have not loaded for them yet. I have know doubt it will shoot them great as well.
You are going to find nodes all over the place with the 25sst. i had great loads that worked from 3050 to 3300
Which reamer is best? I only do prefits anymore and am looking for a carbon barrel. Did you end up at a 7" twist? I have several powders but am limited on the 133s but will end up shooting the 131s. What brass? Thanks for the help.

58gr ADG most of my brass is 7x
The other powders you listed will work great to but will be harder on barrels
Thank you. With the velocities you're at I won't need to run overbore and if I could get 1,500 rds I'm more than happy.

Which reamer is best? I only do prefits anymore and am looking for a carbon barrel. Did you end up at a 7" twist? I have several powders but am limited on the 133s but will end up shooting the 131s. What brass? Thanks for the help.
i have one 7 and two 7.5. One is carbon. proof that i put on a tikka action. all barrels worked fine

i have one 7 and two 7.5. One is carbon. proof that i put on a tikka action. all barrels worked fine
I'm guessing the proof is the 7.5. I'm at 5k elevation so I'm not worried about the 7.5. I have several proofs in carbon that have worked good. I'd like to get one shouldered so I don't have to drill on my new carbon chassis I just got.

i own 3 25 sst's
kind of thinking of building one of these specifically one to shoot the hammers as i live in CA. if you dont mind me asking what gr hammer and what is your load for these and numbers? seems like most everyone is loading the Blackjacks but havent seen a lot if any loads shared for hammers.

kind of thinking of building one of these specifically one to shoot the hammers as i live in CA. if you dont mind me asking what gr hammer and what is your load for these and numbers? seems like most everyone is loading the Blackjacks but havent seen a lot if any loads shared for hammers.
Patriot Valley arms makes some great solids as well.