Quarter bore and 6.5mm wildcat ???s

RedAllison

I have the same condition that I suspect everyone else here has, that is that I cant seem to amass enough rifles in my safe. I am curious about possibly having a custom built in a smaller bore VERY fast round for "farts n giggles" (aint that all the reason we need to get another gun?).

I absolutely love the .257 Wby Mag but I like something different and have always been of the type that "if 2 aspirins are good then 4 are 2ce as good"! So I wonder about having a turbocharged quarterbore or possibly even a 264 pill launcher. I know from personal experience that the Lazzeroni Scramjet (.257) isnt as fast as the Warbird or the Firebird yet they all three share the same case (essentially a straightwalled .416 Rigby). That tells me that it is overbore. Would a 7STW case or an opened up 300 Wby case etc push either a .257 or .264 100+grain pill into the 4k fps realm? What about gettin a .243 85-100 grain Xbullet into that realm as well?

Speed kills and I have NEVER killed anything to dead,
RA

Several years ago, probably in Shooting Times magazine, possibly Guns & Ammo.........one of the magazines' regular writers did article on a .257 Weatherby that he had built. I think the author was Rick Jamison, not sure. Anyway, this particular rifle was built using "gain-twist" rifling. It was a delicious article.....just almost too good to be true, in terms of the velocity and grouping ability he got. The velocity was absolutely amazing, for the amount of powder burnt, and the barrel length.

I wish I knew of the exact source of that article, cuz I have often thought of it since reading it. I know when I read it, I thought to myself "If this rifle was for sale, I would buy it this second!"

Maybe one of our members can post details about the source of the article.

Lee Carkenord

i read in a shooting times artic.about a 25 cal. hot tommali it was + 4000 may want to check it out

I use and design a 6.5/300 Yuma that a 264 win body in a 300 win mag to create a long neck case

with tight base and parallel throat that allow to reach 3350 fps with a 139/142 match bullet in a 30 inch barrel with no case vailability problem ( 300 win mag ) and good case ( any maker make 300 win mag ) neck is in 0.297 witch allow neck turning to get clearance

accuracy is very good at 1200 yards

good shooting

DAN TEC

that would be the 257STW--go for it--barrelmakers are making new barrels everyday
wink.gif

Have a visit to accuratereloading.com. They have very fun fast projects.

An STW or Ultra mag case and long enough barrel will certainly take the light pills to 4K. How accurately? who knows but it will get there in a hurry.

Been playing with a 6.5-06 and 140gr SST bullets. Only going 2975fps but LR performance is great. Take that same bullet and go 3200 to 3400fps and you are having some fun. Use a 1 in 9 twist and I am pretty sure that bullet will handle the trip.

Which brand of barrel are you planning on using? We should all buy some shares in that company :)

Jerry

Red,
I built a 6.5 STW for a client. It was an interesting round. I believe he is getting 3500 fps out of a 30" tube with 140 grain bullets. The 100 gr @ 4000 should be in your grasp. Tthe 6.5 STW is an easy brass build from 7 STW. I would build a 6.5 vs a .257 just based on bullet selecton. By the way I feel your pain of a gun safe that is not full.

Shawn

RedAllison
Just so ya know; the Scramjet case is completely different than the firebird/warbird case. The FB/WB case has 124grH2O capacity. The SJ has 95grH2O cap. Neither are based on, or derived from, a 416 case.
Given this, You'll gain nothing over the Scramjet using STW/300WBy cases, as they both have less capacity than the SJ.

With plenty of barrel, you could push a 90-100gr .257 bullet at ~3850, near max pressure. This with any case > 85gr cap. Beyond that, with light bullets anyway, there are no further gains with additional powder in this bore. Just heat and recoil.
With heavier bullets the extra capacity helps, but velocity drops.

Try the good old obsolete 6.5 Remington Mag
it will fool you.
Remington just screwed up with the short barrels and killed the cartrige with it
and now they are doing the same thing again
with all these new short mags coming out.
I built one with 26" barrel and chronagraphed 100 grain ballistic tips at
3700 FPS 60 grains of accurate 3100.
it out shoots my 264 mag and my 6.5-06 both
when it comes to FPS.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.