Quality Hunting Knives

Dskiper

I've been searchin for a long time for a good hunting knife!A Bone,Randall,Loveless orMorseth would be great but the prices are crazy!Anyone recommend any others that stay sharp,fairly easy to sharpen,under 200.00 with a decent case?A 3.5-5'' blade is good.Opinions please! Thanks! Dskiper

I bought a Knives Of Alaska set and really like them, haven't used them yet but hopefully next month I'll get to use them on a Lope.

I just took delivery on a fine piece of knife work. Mark Roe, who lives about 35 miles from Shawn Carlock, sent me this knife

He makes many other models but the link above is to his re-designed web site. I don't know enough about them to speak "custom knife" but I do know enough to say he does very fine work.

The knife I he gave me is being featured next month in Tactical Knives magazine.

Besides, wouldn't you just have to work with a guy with this kind of BIO?

• Making knives since 2003 - Mentors: Steve Mullin and Scott Sawby
  • Hoosier by birth, living in the north Idaho woods by choice
  • 1 wife, 2 kids, 2 cats, and 3 rats
  • Passionate about knives, firearms, and hunting
  • Tattoos (5) - Piercings (0)
  • BA Political Science - Indiana University
  • Fell out of several aircraft for Uncle Sam
  • Fled Chicago suburbs for the wilderness in 2001
  • Kilts: yes, Speedos: no
  • Devilishly handsome

image001.gif

I have had a Kershaw knife for years. It holds a very good edge and is very durable. I spilt the rib cage and skin all of my deer with it. I sharpen it every season, but it dosent really need it. Just one of those things I do waiting for the season.

Try Wayne Hendrix in Allendale,SC. He builds a very good hunting knife for under $150. I use one every year for skinning.
The Kershaw is a good factory made knife that holds its edge well.

Coach

The best hunting knife ever made is made by Cutco Cutco Cutlery and Vector Marketing: The Worlds Finest Cutlery
Cutco Cutlery PO Box 1230 322 Houghton Ave.
Olean, NY 14760

Their hunting knife is called the "Sportsman Knives".
They have a 4 1/2 inch blade, 9 1/4 inch overall.
They have either a black or orange non-slip rubber type handle and come with a supper duty leather with an inside protected shield sheath.
These knives come with either a Double-D (serrated edge) of a straight edge.

GET THE DOUBLE-D EDGE. AND DON'T TOUCH THE BLADE WITH YOU FINGER TO SEE HOW SHARP IT IS. YOUR FINGER WILL BE CUT TO THE BONE.

These knives have a FOREVER PERFORMANCE GUARANTEE:
"If at any time you are not completely satisfied with the performance of your Cutco product, we will correct the problem or replace the product."
FOREVER SHARPNESS GUARANTEE:
"CUTCO KNIVES WITH THE DOUBLE-D EDGE WILL REMAIN SHARP FOR MANY YEARS, BUT AFTER EXTENDED USE THEY MAY NEED SHARPENING."
For Sharpening send them up to 3 knives at a time with $5.00 to cover the shipping back to you and they will sharpen them. The turn around is about 2 weeks.
I have two of these knives, one with a drop point and the other with a clip point. The drop point is great for skinning and the drop point for everything else. These are the sharpest knives I have ever seen and they stay sharp. I do a lot of deer preparation and I can skin and completely cut up ready to cook 25 deer before the knife even starts showing any sign of even starting to get less sharp. Like I said I have never seen any knife like this. Here is the greatest thing. It only cost $75.00 before shipping.
Look up the company on the web. They make all sorts of cutlery.

Dskiper:
I'll cast my vote for two knives....

The Cold Steel Master Hunter: MASTER HUNTER

The Cold Steel Pendleton Hunter (if you'd like a slightly lighter knife) PENDLETON HUNTERS

Personally, I have a Master Hunter. It's tough, stays sharp and sharpens easily. Here's a pic of mine. I've had it for twenty years and never had any problems with the knife.

One of the great things about the Cold Steel knives are the handles. They're textured rubber of some sort. So your grip won't slip when you get blood on your hands or on the grip of your knife. This has been a problem with guys I've know with knife handles that were smooth finished.

If you go with one of the Cold Steel knives, I would only recommend NOT getting the one with the gut hook. My brother has one with the gut hook and it only gets in the way.

masterhunter.jpg

Thanks for all your input!Have been lookin at all these brands & more.Ebay&GunBroker list hundreds!Any place else to look?Any opinions on BlackJack,Anza,Boker or Puma?Had aColdSteel CarbonHunter briefly.My Eskimo guide loved it so I gave it to him.Coldsteel lists stainless only now.I'll keep lookin! Dskiper

I have tons of different knives, customs, fixed, folding etc etc. Several years ago I discovered CRKT knives and have been using them ever since. For way under $100 they are great knives. They cycle their models from year to year, my favorite is a 3" blade model similar to this one.

Carson M16 Compact EDC

AJ

I also say check out the CRKT selection(s). I picked a used one up in Boise, ID for $30.00. Guy didn't know what he had and I scooped it up. Best knife I've ever owned by far..JohnnyK.

Three questions need to be answered. Do you want a knife made from stainless or high carbon steel? Do you want a custom or factory knife? Fixed blade or folder? Around the price you quoted I'd choose a Ray Kirk Medicine Blade. He's an ABS Mastersmith, the knife is hand forged 52100 and will do all you ask. Ray has a website I think called rakerknives, he's a fellow hunter and a true gentleman.

What about all the Grohmenn Knives i have 3 russel belt knives and would not use anything else , also they a very cheap to buy some are under 100 the others are just over.

JAWZ

Grohmann is a good choice but I prefer their non stainless blades which can be special ordered. Good knife.

Runana makes knives not far from me and they are good knives. They will always be sought after and they aren't stratospherically expensive.

Mike Mann is a well known maker in my neck of the woods and his prices are in your range. I have his Nessemuk knife.
Hunting and Skinning Knives
The Cliff Knife + Fishing Knives

Here is a nice piece for $119
C.T. Fischer Knives - Nessmuk-style Sheath Knife

Yes, you can tell I like traditional styles and love my Nesse's. I figure if it worked well 100 yrs or so ago, it'll still work well today. I don't this Fischer Nessemuk yet but I plan on ordering one in the future. His version is different than my other Nesse and I like his style. Still my Mike Mannn Nesse is a kick butt blade. I picked it up used for $69. Yea I got lucky for sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.