Quality Hunting Knives

I bought the "Swing Blade" by Outdoor Edge last year. GREAT knife. It was $60-$70 range. I like it because you just push a button on the side and the blade rotates to a heavy gut hook. Very sharp and holds a good edge.
We gutted and caped out 4 white tails last year before I used the sharpening sticks.
I bought mine at a local outfitter. Here is the link to Cabela's

Cabela's -- Outdoor Edge SwingBlade™ Knife

Just my 2 cents worth.
Good Luck
Ken:)

I would look at BRKT knives. I have heard so much good about them, and they have a fantastic warrant on them too.

I used to be a certifiable knife freak. Probably have around 80 hunting style knives. In my previous job I was involved in urban deer control and have probably field dressed around 400 deer with my blades.

Some will claim you don't need a big bowie knife to gut a deer. That a small pocket knife will do. That may be, but I always preferred a 5-8" blade. The longer blade goes deeper into the carcass, so my hand doesn't have to go in as deep.

Some blades have a lot of curve to them, some are straighter. My whetstones are flat, so I prefer blades that are more straight rather than with big, sweeping curves. I especially hate concave curves on blades.

I've got loads of cheaper knives and some pricier ones. Some of the knives I continued to go to year after year were made by Gerber, Schrade, A.G. Russel, and a few more obscure brands. Have some Buck knives. Always had a harder time putting a sharp edge on them. It's ashame they don't make Blackjack knives anymore.

There are trade offs. A blade that keeps an edge will be harder to sharpen than one from softer steel. Don't have many stainless blades, so can't comment really on if it's harder to sharpen.

Some personal prejudices: I don't like gut hooks or serrated edges. Never liked the look of tanto-style blades. Had a folding multi-blade knife that included a blade with a round, tear-drop shaped projection over the tip of the blade (blade tip was blunt & couldn't puncture the guts). I liked it for "unzipping" the abdominal cavity after I'd cut through the skin/fur. A blade with a "sawblade" edge is great for cutting through the sternum and pelvis bones.

Have some $100-$200 knives. The fit and finish of the parts is wonderful. They're great to look at and come with a razor sharp edge (unlike cheaper, factory knives). As far as getting the job done on game are they better than my $30 Schrade or Gerber? Probably not, but us knife freaks appreciate the difference.

Someone mentioned knives by Columbia River Knife and Tool (CRKT). I have a couple smaller, pocket knives from them. I like them a lot too. But heck, I like nearly all knives. Had a $5 knife from Pakistan that was a breeze to sharpen. For 2 or 3 deer, it had one helluva edge!

Never owned a ceramic knife. Don't know about them.

hi guys!have spent at least 20 hours searchhing the net for knives!have decided(90%) to go with custom Ruana Knife.More money than I wanted to spend but u get what u pay for!Have'nt decided on blade lenth,4-5-6".Thanks for your info. Dskiper

You will be sorry that you passed up the Cutco knife. Everyone that has ever seen me use or has used my knives have ordered themselves one and thanked me every time they see me for pointing them to Cutco.

Another vote for Ruana. I bought my first one at a gun show in Idaho 20 years ago and fell in love with it. Have aquired two more since. Hardest part is deciding which one to carry.
I have at least a dozen quality factory knives and a couple of other customs, but the Ruanas are what I reach for.

Handle a Ruana before you buy one to see whether you like it or not or make sure you can send it back for a refund. For my money they have an awful handle which is far too square and block-like.

Also check out the chris reeve mountaineer knives, the fehrman peacemaker, and fallkniven knives. All of these are excellent knives

Thanks again gents for your responces.Isent a order out Tues. to Ruana.It seems they have stopped making a few of there line of knives.Don't know how they feel.Only goin by pics.Comments all good!Hope I get it by the time I leave for Wyoming in October.I'll have a antelope&muley to dress&skin! Dskiper

What is wrong with a Buck 110? American made, great steel, holds an edge, under $40.

I have had one for years. My other favorite is an American made Gerber 600 folder. The only problem is it is tough to get a good edge on it. A Lansky kit fixed that problem. By far the best thing you can do for your knives is keep them sharp, it takes skill or mecanical help. I opt for the mechanical help.

One word KARBAR, just after WWII my father was fixing a eleverter at Goldberg's Sporting Goods here in Phily and saw some surplus items that just came in one of which was a box of USMC Karbar knifes asked how much and told one dollar each well he purchased a knife for each of his hunting buddies a totle of eight.
We are still using the very same knife today over 60 years later still holds it's edge very well

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.