Pulling Plastic Tips off of Ballistic Tip

He felt his load shot better @ 20k or so off during load development while top loading singles and saw that his loaded cartridge was too long for his mag box. He then tried to pulling the tip to fit and shot what he claimed to be same group at 100 and left it at that.
I don't know his loaded length but he claims he got 40k closer.

Sure is a wicked looking bullet! From a distance, it looks like a semi-wad cutter! lol

Last edited:
I just grabbed a 30/150 NBT and measured the plastic tip and it looks like he could get lots of room and stay in the magazine with it removed.

The presence or lack of a tip shouldn't affect the distance to the lands.
The ogive to cartridge base measurement remains the same either way.
🤣. Got that right. You never know how's when somebody come up with something that wrong. I can see it for the magazine to have them fit. It doesn't do anything in the chamber.

I just grabbed a 30/150 NBT and measured the plastic tip and it looks like he could get lots of room and stay in the magazine with it removed.
Yes he could get closer to the lands. But I doubt he could seat to the lands with the tips removed and at standard mag length. My factory PSS 308 Win has like a .150 .200" throat from the factory. I can't remember because after seating out to the lands I decided I just wanted to feed from the magbox. I even get VLD's to shoot under 0.5 MOA from the magbox.

For distances inside of 200 yards, I have found no great gain in the length of a plastic tip. It is not worth the gain of accuracy or speed of either at that distance.

Thanks

Buck

Reminds me when I was young and would cut Xs into the top of my 22lr bullets, 😆
I drilled out .22 hollow points to be, well, more hollow and then filled that cavity with firmly packed fine metal particles and metal shavings (brass and steel mostly) from the school machine shop and sealed over the tip with glue or a drop of candle wax. Fancied myself quite the ballistic scientist conducting "experiments" like that. They actually did seem to blow up way more and kill small critters notably more emphatically.

At that time the mostly gimmick that was "extreme shock" ammunition was running ads in hunting magazines and I was intrigued by the idea but on a real budget haha (high school kid).

Si
Hey there guys!

New one to me but just want to see if anyone else heard of this!

I have a buddy that has a 308 Remington (hunting profile) that pulls the tip off 165 BT to seat longer and get right up to the lands.
He says it shoots lights out and blows thru both shoulders of deer but all shots are within 150 yards where he hunts.

Anyone else ever heard of this?
I saw the loaded ammo... looks like the older HPBT Gameking with a wide open meplat.

I'd like to hear if anyone else ever heard of doing this.
Sierra 165 grain game king boat tail hp will save a lot of time pulling tips!