Pulling Plastic Tips off of Ballistic Tip

Roughrice

Hey there guys!

New one to me but just want to see if anyone else heard of this!

I have a buddy that has a 308 Remington (hunting profile) that pulls the tip off 165 BT to seat longer and get right up to the lands.
He says it shoots lights out and blows thru both shoulders of deer but all shots are within 150 yards where he hunts.

Anyone else ever heard of this?
I saw the loaded ammo... looks like the older HPBT Gameking with a wide open meplat.

I'd like to hear if anyone else ever heard of doing this.

The presence or lack of a tip shouldn't affect the distance to the lands.
The ogive to cartridge base measurement remains the same either way.
THIS! Maybe he does it for magazine clearance.
I have some CE raptor series bullets that allow me to shoot with or without tips.

Last edited:
I used a 20" 308 Sako loaded with 168 BT's to take a Texas buck. Shoulder shot @ 60 yards ended up with a dead buck. Busted the near shoulder and exited. Behind the shoulder with a 165 BT in a 30-06 in Central Oregon @50 yards, exited again and I retrieved the bullet from a tree. I leave the tips on, YMMV. The Ballistic Tips have a tangent ogive so they are accurate when you jump them to the lands. I load to mag length and have at it.

Yeah...
I was just typing too slow for what I wanted to get out there.
Rem 700 SA 308 factory rifle that was too far from the lands for him to load mag length with his load.
I skipped too much on assumption of the readers.
Sorry about that!

I used a 20" 308 Sako loaded with 168 BT's to take a Texas buck. Shoulder shot @ 60 yards ended up with a dead buck. Busted the near shoulder and exited. Behind the shoulder with a 165 BT in a 30-06 in Central Oregon @50 yards, exited again and I retrieved the bullet from a tree. I leave the tips on, YMMV. The Ballistic Tips have a tangent ogive so they are accurate when you jump them to the lands. I load to mag length and have at it.
Yeah,
I shoot NBT's in several calibers and haven't and won't remove the tips since I can find good loads as is.
It was an interesting subject to me when I saw the bullets and wandered if anyone else has ever tried it.

Yeah,
I shoot NBT's in several calibers and haven't and won't remove the tips since I can find good loads as is.
It was an interesting subject to me when I saw the bullets and wandered if anyone else has ever tried it.
Yes I won't either. But if your friend's load is accurate and is giving him good terminal performance then I wouldn't stop him either. After all at 150 yards or less BC isn't a big deal.

I've never heard of anyone doing this.
Wondering if he actually tried shooting them at mag length? I've found ballistic tips are very forgiving on seating depth.
👇👇👇 totally agree
The Ballistic Tips have a tangent ogive so they are accurate when you jump them to the lands. I load to mag length and have at it.

The presence or lack of a tip shouldn't affect the distance to the lands.
The ogive to cartridge base measurement remains the same either way.
My AICS magazine restricts the OAL to 2.95, removing the tip allows me to move the bullet out to 3.1, or .15 closer, I only tried this as an experiment, the gun shoots great with the unaltered bullets so that's where I leave them. It's a standard 6.5x284 SA and they're still going 2930fps.