PTG Bolt Head and Bolt Body: What Fitting is Required?

michaelnel

Hi Folks

I have a Savage 12 Benchrest in 6mm BR. I have ordered the following and will receive them early next week:

Criterion 30" Bull Barrel in 6mm BR
PTG bolt head
PTG bolt body

PTG makes vague references to a need for gunsmithing to install the bolt head. I believe they just mean that I must do the headspace measurement with this assembled bolt, but I am not sure if I need to do more. I have emailed them, but no response.

I do understand that I need to set the headspace with the new barrel and bolt, and I have the GO gauge (and will use the tape trick for NO GO). I have installed a Criterion barrel before, successfully, on my .308.
'
Anything else I need to do for this job other than setting the headspace with the new barrel and the bolt with the new body and bolt head? I would think that with the floating bolt head design that lapping the lugs should not be necessary, but I am often wrong.

Thank you!
Michael

Being that you are installing a new barrel at the same time there are no special steps to installing it. No lapping on floating bolt head needed. I would set it pretty snug on the Go gauge. As long as it closes without forcing anything will put it at zero headspace. This doesn't do anything for accuracy but does help brass life and will allow you to set your sizing die against the shell holder. If it doesn't bump the shoulder enough you may have to back the barrel up a smidge or remove a little off the bottom of the die.

Don't forget that Savage has a adjustable firing pin. You can adjust the amount of firing pin protrusion. Between .045-.050 should work. Randy

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.