Bolt needs fitting

Dmagna

I plan on having my rem 700 short action rebarreled soon. I bought a fancy bolt for it and it does not fit into the action as is. Now I am not a gunsmith and I don't know a lot about smithing. My question is can my action and the new bolt be made to work together or am I out of luck? It's a pretty sweet fluted bolt and threaded knob. It does fit into a Christensen I have, just not the regular rem 700.

I plan on having my rem 700 short action rebarreled soon. I bought a fancy bolt for it and it does not fit into the action as is. Now I am not a gunsmith and I don't know a lot about smithing. My question is can my action and the new bolt be made to work together or am I out of luck? It's a pretty sweet fluted bolt and threaded knob. It does fit into a Christensen I have, just not the regular rem 700.
what "dosnt fit" ? bolt dia.? length? headspace? etc

I take it you can't close it, it's not fitting by a few thousand'th of inch?

Sounds like headspace, if so can probably be corrected

I'm going to wild guess that you bought a bolt with an over-sized body. If that is the case, the raceway needs to be bored or reamed for the new bolt.
If I remember right, PTG makes a helical fluted reamer specifically for this.

I have a PTG Guided Reamer that cuts .705"...
if you have an oversize bolt which is what it sounds like This would solve bolt body problem....
However measure bolt diameter carefully...
On 700's the bolt guide surfaces front and back are not aligned and are different sized....
If it were mine.... I would straighten reciever out.Including front where barrel seats and the bolt raceway...and square up the reciever lugs...
By then your bolt would probably fit....I would also look at bolt carefully to make sure you have plenty of primary extraction... with respect to reciever ramp...

Ok, a few guys had a good laugh at your expense. Where to go from now? You said it cycles in a CA action you own. Is the new bolt compatible with the cartridge in that rifle? Does the new bolt close and have good contact on the lugs in the CA action? If yes, then does the CA bolt function in the M700 action? Ultimately you need to have a 'smith check things out but you may be able to use all the parts you have without too much $$.
Here's to hoping your biggest regret is not getting to laugh at the dumb@sses that have made plenty of mistakes and laugh at yours.

Ok, a few guys had a good laugh at your expense. Where to go from now? You said it cycles in a CA action you own. Is the new bolt compatible with the cartridge in that rifle? Does the new bolt close and have good contact on the lugs in the CA action? If yes, then does the CA bolt function in the M700 action? Ultimately you need to have a 'smith check things out but you may be able to use all the parts you have without too much $$.
Here's to hoping your biggest regret is not getting to laugh at the dumb@sses that have made plenty of mistakes and laugh at yours.
Dirtrax, it is called training and experience. Everyone alive has made mistakes, but the tech training of gunsmith school (MCC Grad of '93) and 30 yrs of 'bench' experience trumps interdnet training every time.