Pros and cons on buying a Chrono?

Laker_Taker

Hi to all,
I keep reading about everybody using Chrono's. I do not know how to use one or what brand name to get. I have been reloading for three years. Does anybody have any suggestions on what kind to buy and how to use. I reload for a 22-250,270win 270 weatherby and a 30-378 weatherby mag. Also will it tell me the velocity at different yardages? Like 0,50,100,200 etc?

Sorry to ask dumb questions
Aaron

You may wish to consider using the search feature and seeing what you come up with. There have been plenty of discussion regarding this subject.

Bottom line is if you're gonna get serious about LRH ya gotta have something along the chrono lines.

Here's my 2 cents:

Got a shooters chrony for xmas a couple of years ago. Price was right (zero to me). It gets pretty bad press and I "think" its inconsistent from time to time. OK for a string of shots but 30 min later w/same load velocities are off a bit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif But very useful for working up loads and observing standard deviation of a string of shots. I use actual down range data, that is, I shoot at each distance to see the bullet drop. Then back calc to determine BC to develop drop chart.

However, the during the last two days of rain, it was out in it for both days. Felt real comfortable with it as soaking a more expensive unit would have kept me from load development. It functioned as designed. Was overcast thus the shades weren't needed.

I think that variations in readings is related to variations in brightness of the sun, but I'm not sure.

I think an Ohler 35 (spelled wrong, not sure where the 'e' goes) can be had for $225 and would be the best purchase. You'd never have to look back. Double screens bring the price up but gets one next to "lab" quality for field work.

With any chrono you'd have to do your own down range velocity calcs based on BC. Unless you set the chrono at the different distances, takes a bit of guts. Wouldn't do it w/the high end ones but the Shooting Chrono is out at 200/300 yds quite often. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Zeroed_in, Just read that Oehler is dropping the 35. Parts will still be available and for the money I would find one fast. Try Brownells. I agree with Roy, a good chrono is a must if you are serious. Good luck.

Zeroed in ,

What Roy said /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I started out with a Chrony brand and have found it to be useful in load development . I have also found it to be useful in encouraging me to develop new and more expressive expletives /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif like when it won't give a velo for half a ladder test /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Anyway , how are you fixed for funds to get one ? Don't mean to be nosy , just wondering if you are doing a lot of load development /shooting or just considering another toy to purchase ( which is a good thing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

I have as I mentioned a Chrony that is many years old . I would send it to you if you are going to use it ,and no , I don't expect it back. Just use it and pass it along if you decide to upgrade later .

Jim Brown

Cons- None

Pros- useful tool. It will help you find pressure jumps and accurate loads.

Started with a chrony but not realy happy. Bought a Pact Model 1 and it has been very good and now selling it as I just got my 35P and last one from Midway.

BH

Jimm,
I'm still interested in buying a chrono. I don't know much about using one. I go to the range once a week and reload about 1000 rounds a month for 22-250,270,270mag,30-378 and a .40 handgun. I can spend up to 300. My only concern is am I using it right and am I putting my money into something that is useful. I also would'nt mind buying a used one and trying it out. That way I will know if it is something that will help me out or collect dust in the corner. Well I off to pick up my .454

Thanks Aaron
[email protected]

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.