Proper use of rear windage screws in bases??

cdherman

My bases are front dovetail and rear windage adjustable. Anyone ever put locktite in the rear screws once the windage is good? I intend to mount this scope and forget about it.

Are there tricks for getting this design of mounts tight and permanent?

Appreciate your thoughts......

Windage adjustable bases are a terrible concession, and I wouldn't use them. You would be much better off to chunk those and get a different kind.....

Like Charles A said;

I dont like using the rear windage type bases because I have had them
fail .(Break or just come loose).

They were needed back when most scopes had only 10 MOA of windage
but now most scopes have 40 MOA so they are not as important.

My first choice for your needs would be the dual dove tail type or the cross
slot style( Picatinny,weaver).

But if you want to use the dovetail & rear windage type then hear's 1 way
to install them.

Install the front dovetail with some anti-seize on the dovetail (this keeps it from
gaulding and allows it to turn easy).

Then center the windage adjustment of the scope.

Place the left hand adjustment screw in and install the scope trying center it
in the midle of the rear base.

Go to the range and shoot a site in shot and adjust the windage base close to your
windage zero.

Once you are close ,remove the left windage screw and apply a "Small" amount
of locktight , replace it and bring it up by hand to the scope ring and tighten both
screws.

Later if you want to remove the scope for any reason you can remove the right
screw only,rotate the scope off,then replace the scope and the right hand screw
and you will have "almost" the same zero as before.

My failures have been the screw heads have broken off so dont over tighten.

J E CUSTOM

Pitch them and get some good ones.

OK, for starters NO ONE could sell me weaver or pickatiny bases in silver, in the Burris signature line. And I did look. All Over. Burris makes them, but apparently, they were and are sold out.

I did not like the looks of the rear windage setup either, but I simply could not find what I wanted elsewhere. And I had $1400 parts (scope and gun) sitting on my bench with only the little detail of mounting holding me up.....

And I really like the Burris Signature design. The flexibility to move the scope around by using various offset insets is a really nice idea, nevermind that it also avoids damage to scopes.

Thank you JE Custom for some verification of what I was thinking, but had never done personally. Its Locktite on one side (maybe both if I am feeling "final").

I have a set of bases that are windage adjustable on an older model 70 Winchester and that scope has been on and off a lot. I use no Locktight or anything else and they have never come loose. Must have been lucky and got a good set 30 years ago. Would not buy a set today but if it isn't broke don't fix it. Follow JE's installation directions as they are spot on. Don't over tighten as it ruins the seat.

Amen on the Landfill Disposal of the real adjustable windage screws. I have no use for them. I have see 3 actually pop the scope and the base free.

Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.