Proof carbon fiber stock

They became loose when the stock cracked. I had them tight, shot for a while, gun became inaccurate and i couldn't figure it out. Sent it to the smith and he noticed the stock being cracked and the screws being loose. It was a complete custom rifle.

Later this month I'll be going to Weaver Riffles with my rifle. We'll have a conversation. I have the HS Precision sporter that's on it now and the McMillan. One or the other will get bedded. 8# for a 338 RUM isn't bad and that's what I've got with the HS.

I understand there physics because I felt it. Recoil isn't bad but it is there. I worked up the numbers and the 338-250 makes about 30% more energy than the 300-180. I'm thinking that's what takes the toll.

The muzzle break reduces felt recoil. The stock still receives full force of the load.
At least this is how it was explained to me when I questioned how a rifle could break a high end stock when a child can shoot the rifle.
So I dont think Id put a cheap stock on a hard kicking rifle

Before a brake can do its job the the reaction of the powder and bullet have already imparted their action to the stock. The pad absorbs some of this initial action. A good pad is merely ogmented by a good brake.

The muzzle break reduces felt recoil. The stock still receives full force of the load.
At least this is how it was explained to me when I questioned how a rifle could break a high end stock when a child can shoot the rifle.
So I dont think Id put a cheap stock on a hard kicking rifle

Not quite true because the muzzle blast itself makes up about 60-70% of "felt recoil" due to the "rocket motor effect".

The stock has to absorb or channel away the reining 30-40%. That's why even the most effective MB can reduce measured recoil forces by no more than about 60-70%.

This is why you have to either use your body to fight recoil by absorbing it or learn to just flow with it making your body in effect a shock absorbing lever.

It's also why the worst thing you can do when firing a truly punishing heavy recoiling rifle is to put your back against something solid. that's how you break bones.

"This is why you have to either use your body to fight recoil by absorbing it or learn to just flow with it making your body in effect a shock absorbing lever.

It's also why the worst thing you can do when firing a truly punishing heavy recoiling rifle is to put your back against something solid. that's how you break bones.[/QUOTE]

Okay.....so how many of the rifle stocks that have failed have been put in a weighted lead sled....supposed ro be hard on the scope...cant imagine it's any better on a sled...

First... enough stock have failed in lead sleds that they caution against heavy weight in the sled and heavy recoiling rifles!

Now. I want to thank everyone for their feedback. I've decided what to do.
1) I'll not use the McMillan. It turns out a lighter and more reliable stock is available for about the same price. The McMillan will go on the 338-06 I'm having done.
2) Oregon Gunsmithing is going to make one of their fine 16 ounce carbon stocks for my rifle. With it and a change to a slightly lighter scope I'll have a rifle that's just over 6#. It'll push back a bit more but as I hike around up here at 8600'+ I'll be happier!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts