Proof carbon fiber stock

I recently read about the Proof stock. I have a couple questions.
Has anyone used one?
Will it withstand a 338 RUM. (McMillan says I'll break my Hunters Edge stock.)

Unless you specificaly had it reinforced with some stainless rods in key places I'm not sure I'd put any of the Ultra Mag's in an ultra light carbon fiber or fiberglass stock.

Some might take it but I'd bet the odds are against you.

Your point is well made. I've sent Proof and Stocky's an inquiry to see what they say. I'm only looking because the brake on the rifle works extremely well. It's 8.1# now and is a real pussycat. My lightweight 270 is punishing by comparison! Right now it wears an HS Precision Sporter. I've got a video of my first shot but LRH doesn't like mp4 video.
With either my McMillan (22oz) or the Proof (advertised @less than 20 oz) I'd be just over 7#. At 8600+ that weight makes a difference at the end of the day and I'd still be able to hit an elk at 600 yards or so with a good rest if I needed to.

Cool! My gunsmith is Kevin Weaver and he said if it was bedded correctly it should do well. The only reason I'm even considering is the floorplate intletting is to generous for any of my fireplates so it's more money no matter how I go.

Hok many moons ago I was dead broke and had a crappy Remington super light injection molded piece of junk I needed to strengthen. I drilled from the butt to the chamber and inserted a 1/8" stainless rod and epoxied it in.

I then took a router and cut both sides just below where the action would sit and inserted the same running the full length up to the stop. I also added one running the full length from the recoil lug to almost the end of the fore end.

You probably would not benefit from the last but the first three should add enough to eliminate any worries permanently.

Ask your smith about doing something similar, you're probably talking about maybe 2-4 oz of additional material in all the right places. he might even suggest a couple of cross bolts.

I ran a 30 Nosler in a ultralight McMillian and it was bedded with Devcon. After about 1k rounds it cracked all the way from the recoil lug to the magazine cut.

I'm running a McMillan Game Hunter Edge fill on my 338 Edge with 300 gr bergers at 92 gr.of H-1000 @ 2884 fps. Proof 30" and a T-3 breakers. I just love that stock ! I will not change it and it's not bedded in anyway . I took my Spring Bear and a 5pt Bull this year with no problems . Lots of rounds down range for practice.
I will get two more this year for a 300 carbon Rum and a 338 carbon Rum . If it last 1000 rounds like above quote well then I'm more than Happy to get another one !

Rum Man

Proof bought out Lone Wolf stocks,where I live.The original owner, did a couple light stocks for me.All the stuff was his own design and he had 20+ years into it.He did my 340wby and that came out at 8# roughly?My 338 NM came out at 7-2oz.He put alot of kevlar in and aluminum pillars.He was known for top notch work.That was in 2010,they have held up.I remeber looking at 5-6# rifles he was doing then.Those where the summit ,I have a tac II on my other 338nm,love it.Bob Culbertson,taught Greg @ proof the technique.Back then

I'm running a 338 Edge on a Manners T stock (26oz), it's bedded and shoots 300gr SMK as good or better than my service issue C14 Timberwolf.

I have a defiance hunter action with a 30"proof carbon, T3 break and a TT diamond topped off with a Kahles 5-25.

This thing is beautiful and glad I built it!!!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.