PRONGHORN HUNTING QUESTION

Hey guys, I'm still pretty new to the group so not sure if this is the correct section to post under. I've grown up with my dad always taking me hunting and doing everything for me. I'd like to give something back to him and take him on a pronghorn hunt. Being from East Tx/Louisiana I have no experience on pronghorn hunting. If anyone has any information to share as far as state or guide recommendations that'd be great. Thanks!

I would highly recommend Cola Blanca.
colablancaoutfitters dot com ( just edited this to correct web site)
Dan Bishop owns this and is also a taxidermist and does a great job.

I'Ve gone out to New Mexico 3 times and while I haven't killed a huge antelope , have shot just nice bucks. He hunts near Moriarty in the Estancia basin.

Cant speak highly enough about Dan and his crew! Great folks and a fun hunt.

Last edited:
Have hunted Wyoming, New Mexico, believe it was area 58/59 in Wyoming and Sands in NM got some nice bucks in both states. NM upper range ( Socorro Area ) Been a while since out that way. Was a MP at Sands, got to know a few of the Ranchers and you know how that goes .

Wyoming seems to have the biggest population and was easy for us to draw with only 1 preference point this year.
We went guided and both took good animals on our second day. On average we saw 150+ animals per day.
I can send you my guide's info once you get enough posts for private messages.
Yes sir I'd appreciate that. Not sure what I have to get to for that to work. Thanks

It's been several years ago, but I was able to get an antelope tag in Utah on my first try. The non-resident odds were decent, and I had a local buddy who helped me out.

For trophies, AZ and NM are king. Not that big goats can't come from a lot of western states, but a lot less frequently.

My last AZ pronghorn tag (my ONLY AZ pronghorn tag) was a 27 year wait as a resident This year. But I definitely made good on it.

NM has landowner tags, and most guide services will have availability. Drawing a tag is highly unlikely in your first 10+ Years as a non-res. We have gone the last 6 years in a row on landowner tags. And no, there are no extras on the ranch we hunt. Same guys get them every year.

WY is a good option. Tags can be drawn after a few years. Some of rhe better units with more public lands might take 5-8 years to draw. Last winter was brutal on the pronghorn population in the western portion of the state.

MT has some places you can buy a tag over the counter, on some Reservations. Goats are not big, but they are there.

NM for sure for big goats. If you are interested in a quality hunt where you are almost certain on getting one, then call Keith Williams with Arizona Pro Elk outfitters. Keith has some of the best antelope tags (landowner) in New Mexico.