Professional Hunter to Remove Idaho Wolves

One man will do OK if it's the right person, and they leave him alone. If it's truly a control hunt he needs to be there thru the denning season.

Areas outside the wilderness where a trapper can use a snowmobile and haul more bait would be a good idea also.

Couldn't agree more, in the area I elk hunt I have taken predator control very serious and I am in the thick of central ID. Well this year I saw more calfs (almost 30% cow to calf ratio) than i have seen in years (usually cow to calf is about 10%)

If the fella knows what he is doing and utilizes traps and more importantly if he is a good snare man he will make a HUGE difference in that area.

Did you guys here about this Wolf kill in Idaho? Looks like it was a news story near the town of Victor. I'm in Washington state and don't know were Victor is, but I've seen the Wolfs here during Elk hunting in the mountains dew south of the old Natchez pass. I just tripped over this when I was reading another news story this evening. Here is a link to it,
Wolves kill 176 sheep near Victor, greatest loss recorded in Idaho | Rack Em Up

Did you guys here about this Wolf kill in Idaho? Looks like it was a news story near the town of Victor. I'm in Washington state and don't know were Victor is, but I've seen the Wolfs here during Elk hunting in the mountains dew south of the old Natchez pass. I just tripped over this when I was reading another news story this evening. Here is a link to it,
Wolves kill 176 sheep near Victor, greatest loss recorded in Idaho | Rack Em Up

Yup: http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f114/176-sheep-dead-119447/
Suck deal, all the way around.

Well, they (4 different groups led by John Marvel/western watersheds) filed suit to stop this guy from doing his job. Hopefully the suit won't happen and if it does, hopefully Gus is so deep in the wilderness they can't find him.

Randy

The most disgusting part of these activist groups is their choosing one animal as more noble and important than another. They place the wolf above the elk herds that have flourished in Idaho up to this point. The unsustainable losses in the herd do not resonate with them yet they believe they know better than hunters who live in those mountains. The truth of this huge mistake of grey wolf introduction and the evidence of the elk and game losses cannot penetrate their arrogance. A world left to their "better judgment" will soon be rendered a fallow wastland. They cannot fathom a dynamic system. Actions have consequences.

We all suffer the mistakes of fools.

They are proven by their blindness.

KB

The most disgusting part of these activist groups is their choosing one animal as more noble and important than another. They place the wolf above the elk herds that have flourished in Idaho up to this point. The unsustainable losses in the herd do not resonate with them yet they believe they know better than hunters who live in those mountains. The truth of this huge mistake of grey wolf introduction and the evidence of the elk and game losses cannot penetrate their arrogance. A world left to their "better judgment" will soon be rendered a fallow wastland. They cannot fathom a dynamic system. Actions have consequences.

KB

Well, I cannot possibly tell you what I think about Jon Marvel from Western Watersheds as I would most likely be sued for libel however you can google him and form an opinion for yourself. Hopefully he will run into a pack of wolves someday...........

Randy

The truth of this huge mistake of grey wolf introduction and the evidence of the elk and game losses cannot penetrate their arrogance.

KB

Yes it is true that the activist will jump on any band wagon that suits them whatever their ulterior motives are. Even here in Texas there are activist that support the wolf reintroduction. I spoke with the mother of a young girl that goes to school with my boy the other night that is one of those band wagon jumpers and was all for the wolf. I took about an hour, without being too condesending, and showed her many things she did not know. She did not jump completly off of that wagon, but only proved the tunnel vision these folks have without considering the consequences. It pains me to the core to listen to some of these hypocrites talk about the killing of a defensless animal while they're eating a steak.

The sad truth of the matter is that the activists seem to be more proactive in their fund raisers and lawsuits than our organizations are. Granted a lot of research is completed on our behalf to present in defense of our position, but for the most part we are more reactive than proactive. If organizations like the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Rocky Mountain Bighorn Society, Mule Deer Foundation, Safari Club International, and on and on, would band togather and be more proactive using solid science maybe the tide would turn a little.

It does seem that we are asked to give and give, most of the time with no particular adgenda and maybe thats by design to keep some of the antis at bay. Show me an adgenda and I'll give a little more.

We. Here in Idaho need the help. The wolf has been the hardest big game animal I have ever hunted. The animals learn and adapt so fast. They have the best of every domestic dog out there . I have been hunting them for 5 years and still have not filled a tag. I am a backcountry hunter. These dogs a freakin awesome predators. All I know is we better do something soon or the elk herd may not recover.
Just my 2 cents

There not recovering, and not going to . They eat 24/7 and they are like nap weed,you wont get rid of them now. It took a bounty on them back when. I have hunted all of MT and ID panhandle and elk hunting isnt even a shadow of what is was 10 yrs ago. It sucks

Couldn't agree more, in the area I elk hunt I have taken predator control very serious and I am in the thick of central ID. Well this year I saw more calfs (almost 30% cow to calf ratio) than i have seen in years (usually cow to calf is about 10%)

If the fella knows what he is doing and utilizes traps and more importantly if he is a good snare man he will make a HUGE difference in that area.

I heard about a guy who caught 5 or 6 on a couple of days using snares. Quite effective :D

We. Here in Idaho need the help. The wolf has been the hardest big game animal I have ever hunted. The animals learn and adapt so fast. They have the best of every domestic dog out there . I have been hunting them for 5 years and still have not filled a tag. I am a backcountry hunter. These dogs a freakin awesome predators. All I know is we better do something soon or the elk herd may not recover.
Just my 2 cents

I feel like the fishing game is using the wolf as a scapegoat as well. Not so much in the backcountry herds, I'm sure it's all wolves. but they're also counting elk in areas that migrate from other units where the fishing game management leaves quite a bit to be desired. We can't shoot all these cows so early with young calves. We can't hunt them for 5 months out of the year. The elk management plan of the fishing game is more about money than it is about elk numbers and they're putting us on a route to the type hunting where everyone must draw. It's absolute bs, at least in my zone!

I would like to know how much money we're having to spend now to eradicate these wolves...talk about shooting themselves in the foot!

The hunter was successful and elimanted both packs he was after. He trapped 8 and shot 1. Not the least bit surprised that the number 1 tool, was traps. These are not easy animals to hunt. This will help. The wolves generally kill 1 elk per week per pack. That should help save a minimum of 100 elk in the areas the packs lived and hunted. The number is certainly higher as the wolves often kill cow elk that are pregnant. My guess is at least 150 elk will spared, most of which are cows, which are not hunted during the rifle or gerneral season.

Now, if we could just figure out a way to deal with the fire problems that keep destroying huge tracks of wintering habitat. Oh, yeah, let the forest be managed properly by thining and selectively cutting....... no wait, that won't work....that is a scientifically proven method and it bolsters economic welfare of the counties the trees reside in. We can't have that, we need to use emotion and lawsuits to stop all human activity and let the law of nature preside over everything. Screw it, lets all go hug some bug infested trees and parastie infested wolves.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.