Professional Hunter to Remove Idaho Wolves

For those of you that think this is a much needed, solid plan to manage all wildlife successfully and not just one animal, a quick e-mail to the Idaho F&G telling them of your support would be much appreciated.

Like many government organizations, the Idaho Fish and Game has been infiltrated with a number of people that really don't understand what true wildlife management or conservation is. They are very much agenda driven, trained by the wonderful liberal colleges that all of our children get to attend these days. Many detrimental concepts and strategies have been implemented into the F&G. It appears some are being slowly fixed, now that the evidence is so overwhelming that nobody can disregard the massive drop in big game numbers, but it will be a continued battle for all of our state wildlife agencies. We are all still fighting a battle when it comes to all of this and we need to support each other in this fight.

Idaho Fish and Game - Contact Us

Scot E.

I'm not questioning you here, but trapping coyotes can be unproductive. I'd think a wolf, who waste more meat than they consume, will be a tough sell for a trapper with dead bait.
Someone enlighten me if I'm wrong.

Some flying is coming to mind.

Who told you that trapping coyotes can be unproductive? A good trapper can put a hurt on coyotes. They are not that difficult if you know what you are doing. Coyotes can be virtually eliminated from given areas, until more move in. Wolves could be a bit tougher, but are very trappable. Just ask the Alaska trappers that catch them every winter.

For those of you that think this is a much needed, solid plan to manage all wildlife successfully and not just one animal, a quick e-mail to the Idaho F&G telling them of your support would be much appreciated.

Like many government organizations, the Idaho Fish and Game has been infiltrated with a number of people that really don't understand what true wildlife management or conservation is. They are very much agenda driven, trained by the wonderful liberal colleges that all of our children get to attend these days. Many detrimental concepts and strategies have been implemented into the F&G. It appears some are being slowly fixed, now that the evidence is so overwhelming that nobody can disregard the massive drop in big game numbers, but it will be a continued battle for all of our state wildlife agencies. We are all still fighting a battle when it comes to all of this and we need to support each other in this fight.

Idaho Fish and Game - Contact Us

Scot E.

I sent an email in favor of any & all wolf control measures and asking for year-round wolf hunting.

I'm not questioning you here, but trapping coyotes can be unproductive. I'd think a wolf, who waste more meat than they consume, will be a tough sell for a trapper with dead bait.
Someone enlighten me if I'm wrong.

Some flying is coming to mind.
A trapper friend of mine trapped 65 coyotes within a5 mile radius of my house.2 hunter friends with no success shooting each trapped 2 last year. Neither trappers have to take or MT course. I personally met a wolf control guy for ranchers and he had alot of dead dogs on his phone. He gets to set up on edges of ranches more open shooting and fresh cattle kills are watched and wolfs shot as well as trapping, for him flying is a option also.

Why don't they just use an airplane or helicopter to control wolf populations? Would seem a lot more efficient than one hired gun/trapper on the ground?

Using an airplane here in Northern Arizona they killed about 200 coyotes over a 2 year program to help the deer and antelope populations just in one hunt unit. It was not cheap, but then nothing is these days.

Also, some parts of Utah have a bounty on Coyotes.

Why don't they just use an airplane or helicopter to control wolf populations? Would seem a lot more efficient than one hired gun/trapper on the ground?

QUOTE]
Aerial gunning can be effective in some places, others not so much. One of Idaho's first efforts from the air they actually targeted a collared wolf, they knew exactly where it was, but weren't able to see it.

In some places trapping is the most productive. Provided they turn the fellow loose, and don't try to micro manage him based on the last headline.

Thanks Harperc, good point about trying to find them in heavy timber areas. Not to mention trying to fly between steep mountains without kissing the ground.
NWMT would be hard to fly and spott wolf in a majority is steep and well timbered.But some areas it would work.

I take it my comment about trapping was somewhat boneheaded.:)
I was just going from my experience 40 years ago trapping red fox, and trying to get a coyote, way to smart for me:rolleyes:

Also, just their lust for fresh meat, and being a pack animal, I just can't imagine one of the pack getting itself in trouble over a 4 day old gut pile.

I myself wouldn't consider aerial gunning as a reasonable means of canine control in those mountains. Plenty of people in those parts know or know of, someone who's died or at least gone down in an aircraft. If you can find a pilot who's nuts enough to do it I doubt you'd find someone willing to sit next to him.

Sometimes the old ways are the best.

Concerning flying for wolves:

Having lived and hunted those mountains for three decades I can say for a fact you cannot fly them effectively. The down drafts are treacherous!

But in this new age of technology maybe a different approach:

Remote Control Drones with IR cameras on board to peer through the foliage. Warm critters show up real good in winter. Fur is better too. Nobody is going to cry if the down drafts hurl a drone into the rocks.

KB

It seems to me like they (IDFG) are trying to put us hunters minds' at ease a bit by dropping this professional hunter into the backwoods in pursuit of these mutts.

I'd like to know - can one man really make a dent in the population? I say send an entire team in to get the job done....then move farther north to take care of the growing problem in the avery idaho area. (big creek drainage, red ives, etc)

Sadly, i think its too late. I hope the elk heard can surive, we cant even kill cows anymore.

It seems to me like they (IDFG) are trying to put us hunters minds' at ease a bit by dropping this professional hunter into the backwoods in pursuit of these mutts.

I'd like to know - can one man really make a dent in the population? I say send an entire team in to get the job done....then move farther north to take care of the growing problem in the avery idaho area. (big creek drainage, red ives, etc)

Sadly, i think its too late. I hope the elk heard can surive, we cant even kill cows anymore.

I think your probably right. I couldn't tell you what's going on in their heads but it seems to me like a pilot program to see if they like it. IDFG has a bit of a history hiring out private contractors for predator control. Mostly due to their own inexperience of how to manage an outsourced contractor, they had some bad press and may be a little shy of going full bore. I'm glad they're still thinking outside the box and I hope this program meets their expectations so it can be expanded.

I'd like to know - can one man really make a dent in the population? I say send an entire team in to get the job done....

One man will do OK if it's the right person, and they leave him alone. If it's truly a control hunt he needs to be there thru the denning season.

Areas outside the wilderness where a trapper can use a snowmobile and haul more bait would be a good idea also.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.