Problems at 300

farpiece

I'm a newbie, thats bewildered. My rifle is a savage 12 LRP - 260 Rem. I sighted it at 100 yards and was shooting right at 1 moa, with 140 g core lokts. Took it on a doe clean out, and dropped 5, all with very good shots. Last weekend took it to the range to qualify past 300 yards, and was all over the paper. Still shooting core lokts, but crap was I terrible. I'll reload with 140 berger vld and work my loads up using H4350 (I've got 8lbs and berger says I'll get close to 100% fill). But lord Im at a loss why I did so badly this weekend. Wind was minimal.

Scope Parallax, ammo or shooting technique will probably be the culprit for the accuracy issue as long as the enviromental conditions were good.

Factory ammo? My 260 is a model 10 savage. It does not like factory loads. I mean like 2"-3" groups. I could get just under an inch with HSA and Southwest match grade loads. When I started handloading, the groups got cut in half. The thing has a pretty deep throat, the handloaded rounds barely fit in the magazine. Factory rounds had way to much jump. It's now a very consistent shooter, if I do my part. Cloverleafs are now very common. I shoot the 140gr SST.

I had a day with my 300 ultra that sounds just like what you went through.I did not change anything the next day at the range and had three touch at 500.I just figuired it was me .I would give it another try before changing things

far, check the action screws for torque to spec. Which stock do you have and have you cleaned the barrel lately?

Yep, first thing is to check your scope mounts, rings, and trigger guard screws.

Pull it back in to 100yds and see if it's still on there and then start working through the list of possibilities if it's not.

Yep, first thing is to check your scope mounts, rings, and trigger guard screws.

Pull it back in to 100yds and see if it's still on there and then start working through the list of possibilities if it's not.

+1 on this!!

I'm a newbie, thats bewildered. My rifle is a savage 12 LRP - 260 Rem. I sighted it at 100 yards and was shooting right at 1 moa, with 140 g core lokts. Took it on a doe clean out, and dropped 5, all with very good shots. Last weekend took it to the range to qualify past 300 yards, and was all over the paper. Still shooting core lokts, but crap was I terrible. I'll reload with 140 berger vld and work my loads up using H4350 (I've got 8lbs and berger says I'll get close to 100% fill). But lord Im at a loss why I did so badly this weekend. Wind was minimal.

Have you ever shot that load to 300 yards before? Or try it back at 100 yards?

I have a good buddy that shot a barrel break-in last weekend when I shot a ladder test, and he too was shooting a brand new savage lrp 260. He also shot some 140 core lokts, and was doing good to 1-1/2 moa. I knowing the cleaning effects them, but even on a 5rd group it was doing so. I wouldn't worry about the gun so much. If you're going to handload I wouldn't shoot them, but if your planning on handloading the 140 bergers, then I wouldn't sweat anything until you see those results.

Thanks all,
I'm waiting on my dies, and I'll start working up my load. I've got 100 140g Berger VLD, 100 Lapua cases, and 8 lbs of H4350. I picked that powder, as it will give me nearly 100% fill at 41.1 grains and velocity right around 2700 FPS.

I'm thinking of working the powder up from 37.0 to 41.0 in .5 increments. What range do yall suggest firing from? Is a chrono a must have? Once I find the nodes I'm looking for, I can play with smaller increments. Where should my seating depth be while working up the powder, I'm thinking 10 thou off the lands.

Once I've got my powder charge sorted, I'll start addressing seating depth.

Also I've heard and suggested above to check torque settings on action screws. Is this a problem specific to savage? Set to spec's or does this need to be tuned as well?

Again thanks all.

I don't hold much faith in the core loct's for LR, they may do just fine but there are better bullets out there designed to go the distance, especially in .264 caliber. Some to look at in addition to the Bergers you already have are Hornady's A-Max's. The 120/123's will be faster but the 140 will carry the mail to the far end of the field. Also, the Lapua Scenars, excellent LR "boolet".
Hodgdon's H4350 will give you good results in the .260 but if you get the chance try VitV N550, H1000, H4831 and IMR4350 and IMR4831.
I tried H4350 ande H4831 in my 6.5x284Norma, as that was what all the competition guys were shooting (6BR.com). Those powders shot "good enough" I suppose but I wasn't satisfied with the velocity. Tried RL25 with the 120gn's and got fabulous accuracy at 500yds (1.5") with this powder. Currently using Retumbo with the 140gn A-Max and I am very pleased with both great accuracy and velocity. It is my go to load until they come out with cryptonite bullets!
Good luck in your search. Keep us informed. JohnnyK.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.