Problems after EGW 20 moa rail?

pat jennings

I put a EGW 20 moa rail on my savage 10 in 308. Did a quick bore sight and headed out to sight it in. Well with both sets of dials bottomed out the best I could get was 14 inches high and 12 inches left. Checked to make sure it was on right, thick Thanks, P@

I put a EGW 20 moa rail on my savage 10 in 308. Did a quick bore sight and headed out to sight it in. Well with both sets of dials bottomed out the best I could get was 14 inches high and 12 inches left. Checked to make sure it was on right, thick Thanks, P@

Yeah, been there. I put a 20 moa EGW on my Wby Super Varmint Master once. Turned out 50 moa was what I got. Good thing I had a NF NXS with 100 moa elevation. :rolleyes: Not to mention it fit like a sack on a sow. I had problem with a few of them and they all ended up in the trash can. I tried to tell of my bad experiences with them on here and the guys that like them pretty much roasted me. I say, "ya get what you pay for" and I will never be cheap on a scope rail again.

Jeff

Last edited:
The good news is there Customer Service is top notch. Give them a call and they will be happy to help, in my experience. Also, would recommend the HD model, just got one for a Weatherby as there are not many options and it's as good as the Warne's and Leupolds I have used. EGW is making these for other companies marking up higher. I think the quality has come up a lot in recent times, the old ones would require bedding for sure and occasionally some tweaking.

Murphy Precision made me two that are superb.

Don't blame the EGW rail. It's too little elevation adjustment range in the scope that's the problem. Before you use any tapered rail you need to be certain that the scope has enough adjustment range from center opposite the adjustment direction which would give you longer range.

So for a 20 MOA rail the scope must have more than 20 MOA of upward reticle adjustment (opposite of a longer range setting) or it won't zero at short range. The exception is if you don't want to shoot at short range at all, such as with a dedicated 1000 yard or mile target rifle. All the tapered rail does is allow you to use most of the half of the reticle adjustment range which normally isn't available.

I got it taken care of. Bought a badger 20 moa rail and put on it. Took care of the problem and both MK4's used before were mounted and tested ok. Just got a bad piece, no big deal. Out of all the EGW rails I have and this is the first problem it doesn't even affect my opinion of the company. Have bought EGW and still will by EGW. Everyone not perfect or we would all look like AL Gore...:)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.