20 moa rail

huntnm2001

I finally received my scope for my 300 ultra yesterday and I'll mount it this weekend as soon as I screw my barrel back on. When I first started this build 2 years ago I purchased an egw 0 moa base thinking I'd only shoot to 600-700 yards. Since that time I've changed my mind a bit and want to stretch the limits of my rifle and myself. This means 1000 yards. The scope is a Leopold vx-3 4.5-14x40 Which if I remember correctly has 64 minutes of elevation which is plenty to get there. But the question is will my 0 moa base limit my range to less than 1000? Should I get a 20 moa base coming? I could probably solve all this by mounting it up and sighting in then seeing how many clicks I have left but I'm more than a week away from that and would like to get the base ordered. so, thoughts?

After looking at my ballistics program it looks like I would need to dial 18 moa to reach 1000 so it seems I will easily be able to reach 1000 and beyond with my current rail.

Bullet drop from the bore is a few more MOA. I would probably get the 20 MOA base now. There's a 50/50 chance that barrel vibration or boresight alignment error between the 0 MOA base the rifle bore will cause the point of impact at 1000 yds to be outside the elevation adjustment range. Also, the resolution of that scope starts to get worse when the elevation is increased beyond about 25 MOA. I like to have the best resolution where I really need it - for the longest range targets.

You dont HAVE TO jump right in with a 20MOA rail. I use the EGW 15 moa rails so I can keep a tad of adjustment still in the scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.